Safety Practices, General and Ultra-High Voltage - Page 24 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd November 2012, 11:34 PM   #231
Banned

I understand that man, but there is always that slight chance something could go wrong with something and something bad happens, at least from my experiences and that is with a multitude of things.
Old 3rd November 2012, 11:49 PM   #232
Banned

Yea with 1Kv I would check everything about 20 times lol I would still be pretty nervous around that much power I won't lie lol
Old 3rd November 2012, 11:55 PM   #233
Banned

Why is it the odd crazy things that we Love so much, yet they can kill us at the same time?
Old 4th November 2012, 01:20 AM   #234
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7N7 View Post
Just read through this thread and there's a lot of good stuff here - and also some nonsense - like the bloke who would have us believe that 25V can be dangerous! Yes OK a 20000 uF capacitor charged at 25V and discharged through one's metal watchstrap would be very nasty - but a shock?
Paul
Paul, in this world of risk assessments and hazard identification it is better not to be too blase about what is 'dangerous'. Sometimes the act of getting a tingle from 25V, or it causing a part to smoke or get hot, could lead to a secondary more 'dangerous' reflex reaction if the situation is unexpected. An unexpected tingle, even if it doesn't exceed the theshold of whichever standard you're complying with, is still a hazard. Ciao, Tim
Old 4th November 2012, 02:00 AM   #235
Banned

Yes that 25v cap stuff is nonsense, no offense
Old 4th November 2012, 02:02 AM   #236
Banned

even if it was possible to have an adequate amount of current it has no push(Voltage) to be deadly
Old 5th November 2012, 09:55 AM   #237
diyAudio Member

In this thread I saw a reader asking about a "Isolation transformer" This is a transformer with two ISOLATED windings The secondary is the SAME as your supply voltage. This is used with mainly service guys doing television sets with "live" chassis. This is to prevent electric shocks handling the chassis. If you should touch ONE lead on the secondary then you should not get an electric shock. I used them working on those old AC/DC sets with their live chassis This is for safety I also used it working on appliances
Old 5th November 2012, 04:36 PM   #238
Banned

Man don't they make like some bad *** gloves that are insulated really well for things like that? I have a **** load of non-conductive tools etc, but some gloves like that would really be handy that is if it would be efficient enough to stop anything lethal you know.
Old 10th November 2012, 02:58 PM   #239
diyAudio Member

The other use of this transformer is how do you connect your MAINS driven instruments. Those days most of the instruments were tube based and needed a mains supply to work.This made such a transformer essential if earth connections were made. Fully solid state oscilloscopes are not that old and spectrum analysers etcetera and these were not all "floating" as the solid state equipment that run for ages on a smallish battery. Those 90 volt batteries were dear and most of the electronics those days worked with an H.T. of 300 plus volts and the display tube ran with 30000 volts plus. AND THEY WERE BULKY AND HEAVY you needed a forklift to handle them. A 50 Kg box was not fun to move around "Those were the days!!!"
Old 16th November 2012, 06:18 PM   #240
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
And never make fun such a way like on the picture! It can kill.

Click the image to open in full size.

Hide this!Advertise here!