Safety Practices, General and Ultra-High Voltage - Page 12 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th March 2007, 10:52 AM   #111
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Last question first: yes. Power supply components especially have been known to cause zaps to the unwary. If you're new to electrical work, do NOT play around inside a tube amp without experienced supervision even if the power is off. (Reality check: if the amp is powered down for some time, ranging from minutes to a day or so, anything really dangerous will have discharged)

First question: your amp will be FAR safer if you use an isolation transformer and a three-wire line cord with the green lead bolted securely to the chassis. Nothing in this world is perfectly safe, but those two precautions will make your amp as safe as it can be.
Old 20th March 2007, 11:05 AM   #112
EC8010 is offline EC8010  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Default Rather sad

Quote:
Originally posted by gmphadte
A bird sitting on an overhead line is safe if it does not touch the second line.
Not if that overhead wire happens to be one wire of an open RF transmission line feeding a short wave transmitting aerial. Apparently, their legs get cooked, and although they can fly away from the feeder, they can't take off when they land on the ground and flutter about helplessly until they die.
Old 21st March 2007, 12:37 AM   #113
diyAudio Member

On the power supply end, even if the above precautions are taken, you can run a 1 megohm resistor across the filter capactitors, and it should bleed them of any charge after several minutes.
Old 21st March 2007, 05:07 AM   #114
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by EC8010
Not if that overhead wire happens to be one wire of an open RF transmission line feeding a short wave transmitting aerial. Apparently, their legs get cooked, and although they can fly away from the feeder, they can't take off when they land on the ground and flutter about helplessly until they die.
Good info,
But the birds don't DIY, if I am not wrong LOL

Gajanan Phadte
Old 27th March 2007, 09:10 PM   #115
diyAudio Member

What we are trying to get over is NEVER TO PUT BOTH HANDS ON DIFFERENT PARTS OF a chassis which has dangerous potentials in it OR with probes which could complete a body circuit. I live alone and regulary tamper with 550V upwards but I discipline myself always keep the other hand away from the action. One thing at a time and use a probe with a claw to complete the other side of a circuit.

richj
Old 28th March 2007, 01:18 AM   #116
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to daboyter
the whole keep one hand out thing seems like a good idean, but is it not possible to complete the circuit with another body part like your feet if they are touching something?
Old 7th April 2007, 11:08 PM   #117
VivaVee is offline VivaVee  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Yes, it is possible to complete the circuit using your feet. This is why we used to stand on a pile of DRY newspapers as a make shift insulator when working on live switchboards.

A few points to add to the previous discussions:

1/. Wear rubber shoes and use an dry insulated floor covering
2/. Use insuated crocodile clips on ALL multimeter leads
3/. Use insulated clips on your power supply bleeder resistor leads
4/. Don't use ESD wrist straps ...

Regarding the GFI (called ELCB or earth leakage circuit breakers down here) and isolation transformer discussion

1/. Do get an electrician to install a suitable sized GFI/ELCB in the switchboard that supplies mains power to your workshop area
AND
2/. Do use an isolation transformer on the work area itself - suitably installed in an insulated enclosure with a suitable mains socket on the front

My lab area is supplied by a dedicated mains feed that has a medical rating 32A ELCB in the line. The medical rating means that the ELCB trips at 10mA fault current rather that the usual 30mA fault current. This feeds ALL power sockets in the lab. There is a big red kill switch VERY handy to the workbench that allows me to kill ALL power to the bench instantly. On the bench, in a wooden enclosure is a 2kVA isolation transformer that feeds a 5kVA variac. This has both current and volt meters on the front panel. This allows me to slowly power up mains circuits and monitor load ( and sometimes fault) current as the output mains voltage slowly rises to 230V. I can also increase the mains outlet voltage up to 260V to test potential fault conditions, but that is another story.

Next to the bench is a rack of leads that includes the aformentioned power supply bleeder resistor. The usual one is 470 ohms 25W ( one of those big aluminium housed beasties ). The leads have large insulated clips (dseigned for charging car batteries but very useful in this instance)

Now all of the above is what you HAVE to do when working on high/mains voltages and circuits. But, the game changes when working on low voltage static sensitive micropressor circuits. If, like me, you work on both, then you have to conciously shift a mental gear as you move from one to the other.

But your default mode has to be safe with the stuff that kills you.

You may kill the odd microprocessor with ESD but your partner, children and friends will thank you. Dead micros are cheap ... and you can buy another one easily enough.
Old 9th April 2007, 02:01 AM   #118
Tweeker is offline Tweeker  United States
diyAudio Member

At VOA Bethany the birds what got too close to the line would explode and strike a 250kW Spanish speaking arc.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 9th April 2007, 04:20 PM   #119
EC8010 is offline EC8010  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by Tweeker
At VOA Bethany the birds what got too close to the line would explode and strike a 250kW Spanish speaking arc.
I know it's cruel to laugh at such an image, so I won't.
Old 9th April 2007, 05:03 PM   #120
Tweeker is offline Tweeker  United States
diyAudio Member

Its not nearly so horrible as what you described.

The majority of power outs in fair weather are caused by squirrels. A business a friend of mine works lost time and had to spend $12,000 replacing a medium voltage fuse because of one.

Hide this!Advertise here!