• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Sharing completed newbie build KT88 Williamson

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My project for the last 6 months has almost come to an end: apart from a couple of aesthetics (name plate and transformer cover) my amp is finished and working well, we've been enjoying it for the last couple of days it's hardly been turned off.

Perhaps a KT88 Williamson was a little ambitious for a first project. There was a lot of learning and a few mistakes made along the way but the end result is something I'm pleased with

Summary page here and also a photo gallery

My project for the last 6 months has almost come to an end: apart from a couple of aesthetics (name plate and transformer cover) my amp is finished and working well, we've been enjoying it for the last couple of days it's hardly been turned off.

Perhaps a KT88 Williamson was a little ambitious for a first project. There was a lot of learning and a few mistakes made along the way but the end result is something I'm pleased with

Summary page here and also a photo gallery
Hat's off !
Well thought and implemented correct!

A question: it looks like a row of LED's on the front. What is that?

Well done Adam. The original Williamson has a lot of design depth to plumb, especially when making changes, and has low baseline distortion to allow testing to be interesting - both areas that you may enjoy moving in to over time. The advantage of having amplifier modules is that audio evolution has now got wireless source material that can plug directly in to them.

Very well done. Congrats

Thanks. Still getting a little bit of ringing on the square wave feedback test, so I'll probably be fine-tuning the NFB at a later time. My ears can't hear anythign untoward though, we've been enjoying the sound of the amp for the few days it's been alive, but some time soon it'll be back on the workbench for fine-tuning

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.