How good are cheap tranny-interstages - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th March 2004, 12:23 AM   #1
zobsky is offline zobsky  India
diyAudio Member

Question How good are cheap tranny-interstages

Still researching on phase splitting options for my PP 6bg6 amp. I've read a few good cases for input phase splitter trannys and/or interstages.

the only thing that prevents me from using such things is .... COST , ... welll not cost in the pure sense, .. but the idea of using a $70- 100 phase splitter with a pair of $6 tubes and a $30 OPT. i may still go that way, .. but I'd like to investigate some more about alternative phase splitters which don't cost a lot of $$$ , ... just for the coolness factor

I've also been hearing some good things about the applicability of cheap (less than $10 ) edcor trannies run in parafeed as in the thread
http://www.audioasylum.com/scripts/t...ubediy&m=45954
I'm considering an edcor interstage in a parafeed arrangement to do double duty as a balanced pre-out and phase splitter. this arrangement is intended to power 6bg6 tubes in push pull. I was thinking of using a 5687 as the driver tube for each channel. basically a 2 stage parafeed coupled PP amp. No one's biting over there, so I'm asking for opinions here.

any opnions on how good this idea could potentially sound vs. more conventional tube based cathodyne /or long tailed phase splitters?

also, I notice a slight dip in the bass response of the interstage? could this be remedied by parafeed cap substitutions?

Any opinions on parafeed (DC blocking) IT vs. regular IT. I see a strong case made for parafeed here http://www.raleighaudio.com/chapter_2.htm .

thanks

Old 7th March 2012, 06:35 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I'm really pleased with the Edcors in guitar amps. Havent listened to them in a HiFi amp tho, so cant say anything about their broadband fidelity. I've been meaning to try them in a HiFi amp, but havent had the time. They measure reasonably flat 20-20k.
Old 7th March 2012, 07:36 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Holy thread resurrection Batman!

Is there any details online about Edcor interstage transformers?
Like ratios, impedances, prices etc?

Hide this!Advertise here!