• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Hum when ground connected

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
When made properly no matter how many connection it has. The example is, a good sound console, with multiple inputs and outputs. No dirty currents through ground loops = no hum.
:)

A multi amped set up has more ground connections, which increases the odds of creating a loop. My system has 4 stereo amps, plus a self powered sub, a crossover/pre, phono amp, and headphone amp. Zero hum. But I can get hum if I plug things in haphazardly. Approaching it is like grounding the internal amp connections. You can use a star approach, or a buss. Most important is that all grounds go to a single outlet box for the mains. How about a diagram of your ground connections?

Sheldon

:)

A multi amped set up has more ground connections, which increases the odds of creating a loop. My system has 4 stereo amps, plus a self powered sub, a crossover/pre, phono amp, and headphone amp. Zero hum. But I can get hum if I plug things in haphazardly. Approaching it is like grounding the internal amp connections. You can use a star approach, or a buss. Most important is that all grounds go to a single outlet box for the mains. How about a diagram of your ground connections?

When I used a HP notebook with external I/O interface to record live concert from console through unbalanced outs I had to power the charger through an isolation transformer.

Usual source of ground loop noise through interconnect is the result of power filters with Y-caps that do harm when not needed to pass certifications. But in this topic the source of the hum is the amp itself, it is a different story.

Here's a small update.
I started with the easiest, plugging them all in the same group. Result was stil hum.

Then while listening to music a pop, onze tube lit up and then smoke from the bottom of the amp............
Hopefully I can find the time tomorrow to open it up and see what has happened.
Pfffff here's a challenge Aruba is great fun to live but not when these things happen

Hi,
I opened the amp up and I think I found the part that smoked. Some sort of a resistor maybe?

Can anybody help me with fixing this?

If I can order this part or similar I'll be able to do the soldering. Other than that I have no knowledge when it comes to electronics, maybe there are other components I'll need to check now?

Thank you Jock

Attachments

• IMG_2749.JPG
    IMG_2749.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_2750.JPG
    IMG_2750.JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_2748.JPG
    IMG_2748.JPG
    130.8 KB · Views: 75
If the chassis is aluminum, you can attach it directly to the chassis with thermal grease. If it's steel, attach it to a piece of 3mm thick or so aluminum (or copper), then attach that to the chassis (both attachments with thermal grease). Make the aluminum spreader as big as you can fit without touching any circuit contact points.

Sheldon

The ones you linked to are fine - even without much heat sinking. Their operating max temperature, if I read the specs correctly, is 350 degrees C. You only need to keep it well below the melt temp of your solder (183 Degrees for eutectic Sn/Pb, 220 degrees for Sn/Ag ). If you want to use the same mounting holes as the current units, you'd have to fabricate a little bracket anyway.

I suspect that will be a whole lot easier than finding duplicates of the original part (which failed anyway).

Sheldon

Another thought: You have 4 electrolytic caps close to that resistor. It would be good to know how hot it gets in that area. A multimeter with a temperature probe would be useful here. If it were my amp, I'd want those caps are working-life rated at 105degrees - to be on the safe side. Were I building that amp, and that resistor gets hot, I'd either vent the area above that resistor, or mount the resistor top-side (with careful insulation of the leads, so no exposed conductors).

Sheldon

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.