• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Entry in to DIY Tube world with 300B SET Kit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Finally I decided to take jump in to building my own 300B SET.
First I will buy a full set of tools including Monacor Soldering Iron and multimeter. First I solder a small kit with resistors to learn soldering.
Quite excited first I was attrcted to Tubelab SE board but being in Greece , Europe procuring the PCB and Edcor transformers will be quite expensive.
So here in Europe I was offered some Kits
1. with lundahl and 2. with Audio note transformers.
I need experienced opinion from the experts on the forum..
which one is better sounding Lundahl or Audio note ?

Hi,
If you live in Athens, ????? ??????????? - ?????? ??? ????????? and www.semicon.gr - for some parts. For the rest Mouser and the bay.

Just one thing. Tubes circuits are not recomended for first DIY and first soldering job...Better gain some experience with low voltage circuits before this. No reason that you wouldn't learn how to build your tube amplifiers but safety comes first and it is a matter of knowledge, patience and practice!

Regarding parts suppliers in Europe, I have used Hifi Collective in the UK and Acoustic Dimension in the Netherlands. When it comes to Greek suppliers in know that there are several very good transformer winders in Greece, but I cannot come up with any names from the top of my head.

Hi! What is your budget?

700€ without tubes because I already spent 250€ for soldering iron and other tools. My first goal was to have good sound without spending so much money on big expensive brands on Transformers and capacitors. But it seems that good Output and power supply transformers are expensive like Lundahl and
Audio Note. I was offered two Kits here in Europe one with Audio Note transformers and one with Lundahl Transformers without Chassis for 1600 and 1700 € respectively.
One of my question is which is better Lundahl or Audio Note?
Also are there any suppliers like Edcor in Europe for output transformers?

With Audio Note it depends which transformers. For example I have Trans 182 which are an older model and not as good as the Lundahls I have. I would certainly recommend Lundahl over Edcor, and I'd go for a LL1663. This has 5K primary which will give you a slightly cleaner sound than the LL1664. It also gives you more choice of output tubes if you want to make changes later. These smaller Lundahls are better than the larger LL1620 and LL1623. I've had both. As for gap, 70mA or 100mA.

I'd put the money into the output transformer. Mains transformers don't matter so much. Build a simple 2-stage schematic. Plenty on the Web. But as said above, you're dealing with 350v to 400v and you absolutely do need to know what you are doing and take precautions.

If I were in your position, I'd rebuild the Aiquin you already have with better parts. You could, for example, use the Aiquin as the power supply and build the new amp on another chassis. Or visa versa - you could take the power supply off the Aiquin into a second box. Either would give you more space for a better amp. You can use a nice pair of 6SN7 input tubes.

Last edited:
Hi,
If you live in Athens, ????? ??????????? - ?????? ??? ????????? and www.semicon.gr - for some parts. For the rest Mouser and the bay.

Just one thing. Tubes circuits are not recomended for first DIY and first soldering job...Better gain some experience with low voltage circuits before this. No reason that you wouldn't learn how to build your tube amplifiers but safety comes first and it is a matter of knowledge, patience and practice!

Thank you.
I live in Corfu ( Kerkyra) its a very small island. I dont speak the language:):xeye:

You are right.
But I am using the Aiqin now to listen and I dont have a spare amp meanwhile.
Aiqin is buzzing and thats how I wanted to make my own. Its not hum but mechanical transformer buzzing.
Once I make this my plan is to modify the Aiqin with better parts and tube sockets.
Thank you for the safety warning.

filament supply

If you're going to upgrade your existing amp -or even buying a Tubelab or whatever- take a special care to filament power supply. For exemple, Rod Coleman modules can be such upgrade. He's a DIYaudio member and gives great support.

You are right.
But I am using the Aiqin now to listen and I dont have a spare amp meanwhile.
Aiqin is buzzing and thats how I wanted to make my own. Its not hum but mechanical transformer buzzing.
Once I make this my plan is to modify the Aiqin with better parts and tube sockets.
Thank you for the safety warning.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.