• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Aurora Amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
kid,

curious about that myself. All the more as i have noticed some of Lynn Olson's directly-heated PP poweramp designs have are no longer available on the net.

My own amp design uses 3 differential pairs, two of them directly heated and i already know i will have noise problems: the virtual grounds of the two directly heated differential pairs are prone to pick up noise referenced to ground capacititvely via the heater supply. How much noise and whether i can tackle it i am going to find out the hard way myself.

Could well be that Lynn Olson experiences or fears the same and feels he should remove the tricky and not-newbie-safe designs ....

wiring needs

I am also curious as to what type and quantity of hookup wire would be recomended for this project. I am a newbie and will be getting the assistance of an experienced tech to help build this amp, but I would like to have all things ordered and ready to go for him and not bother him with questions like this. Any details concerning the amp would greatly be appreciated. I also see that in the Aurora DHT amp schematic there are various indications to use silver/oil caps. Any recommendations as to type and where to get them?

Cat5 cable from Belden

is excellent and is used by quite a lot of people nowadays. I use 1 twisted pair for connection and for the earthing wire 2 twisted pairs. I would stay away from very expensive caps for now. Otherwise you won't learn the importance or irrelavence of high quality components.

So a good thing would be to use Solen type capacitors for the power or paper in oil.

Lynn's designs can be found at
http://www.aloha-audio.com/ these days..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.