• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Modding input of EAR859 to feed output for Bi-Amp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi I have an EAR859 Integrated Amp which I would like to modify slightly so it can be used in a bi-amp setup.
The EAR 859 has a set of RCAs for Tape-Out which are feed from the input via a 1K resistor before the volume control pot. Please see attached the schematic.
I would like to modify it so the Tape-Out outputs are taken after the volume control, hence can use for the bi-amp input and be volume adjusted.
I’m planning to feed a Sonance DSP2-750 Amplifier which has 20K Ohm input impedance.

I obviously don’t want to impact the sonic performance of the EAR859.

I would LOVE some help in knowing if this is easily achievable without changing it significantly (that is – with maintaining the pot volume control. I accept its not the best solution, and longer term Id consider changing it to TVC, but for now I'm looking for low cost mod).

Could it be as easy to moving the 1K to the other side of the pot, either before or after the input capacitor? I assume it won’t quite be this easy, but I’m not sure.

Many thanks and apologies for a basic question!

Attachments

• ear859_.jpg
    ear859_.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 135
Hi Chris, Eli - Many thanks for your replies.
I think Ill just try moving the resistor in the very first instance, and if any issues then try buffering. Thanks for the suggestion Eli.
As I say I realise the pot is not the best solution, and Ill consider changing in the future if I keep this amp.

Thanks again!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.