• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

SE used as step down OT

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, newbie here.

I have an old boatanchor (Hallicrafters SX-62) undergoing exploratory surgery and find that someone added a SE transformer to the high impedence speaker taps, apparently to allow the use of more "modern" 4/8/16/32 ohm loads. Just curious if this may cause any bad juju. The SE is an old Stancor with 5K primary and is hooked to the 5K tap (and gnd).

Thanks ------- any 'this is bad engineering practice beacause......"
comments would be appreciated. I think this (separate transformer at each load) is basically what is done with 70v systems, right?

Thanks,
Rob

Yeah, I have (original) service manual and I'm not going to be making any modifications. The add-on OT is about as old as the radio itself and it sounds pretty good. Actually I'm still on a learning curve and was wondering how this configutation firured into things ---- sum of the characteristics of both OTs I suppose.

Thanks.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.