• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

SE valve tube output transformer clarification.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I am in the process of implement a SE Valve amplifier using Analog Metric - 6L6 SE Tube Amplifier design. In the user manual PDF, it is mentioned that the output transformer should be 15-20W. Does the design support a higher value output transformer like the Hammond transformer so that I can get a higher RMS output (say 30W)?

Links:

1. http://analogmetric.com/download/6L6 SE Amplifier User Manual.pdf
  2. http://www.mouser.in/ProductDetail/...=sGAEpiMZZMv0IfuNuy2LUU8FmnYGIyK29FRNsPSEg5o=
  3. http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/177/5c0050-32590.pdf

---
Regards,
BP

If speaker and transformer power capability is under the valve one, then, distortion and or speaker damage can go. Vice versa, nothing wrong can happen. Use a coupling transformer of higher power rate, not necessarily is exact, as the gap in the core is sized for the DC current and AC voltages in the windings which may cause a bit higher distortion as can be expected, but you will not destroy anything. The above concepts supposes well matched impedance tube to speaker, and vice versa.

...So what is the solution if I need to drive speakers having a rating of 50W?

50 W as a speaker rating is usually meaning the maximum power the speaker can handle.
Do you really need 50 W to get sufficient sound pressure for pleasant listening volume ?

If you want to get 50 W then practical solution is push pull configuration.
With SE it is almost impossible/VERY expensive.

We almost need a sticky about power output and speaker power ratings and volume levels.
There are plenty of people here that know more than me about it but I've had several discussion/arguments with people about how much power is needed. I gave a guy at work a TDA7297 amp and when I was first telling him about it he kept asking how to get more power out of it because 15 Watts just weren't enough. Finally when he got it the next day he said "15 is plenty". I sent my brother a picture of the ACA I built and got the 'wow, only 6 watts!' reply....

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
So what is the solution if I need to drive speakers having a rating of 50W?
Forget the speaker power rating, it isn't helpful in this context.

Size the output transformer the same or higher than the amp is rated to give. This doesn't change the output, it just makes sure the transformer can keep up with the amp.

Different transformers might also have different frequency response characteristics, but that wasn't your question.

Once your amp is ready, you then have the question of whether the speaker is sensitive enough to get loud with that amp, also can the speaker keep up with the power. It's better if you consider this at the same time as you chose an amp.

Depending in the floor noise and in the efficiency of the electroacoustical transducers used.

Aye, the single mono speaker was over 7 foot tall, (I'm 6ft3 and it towered over me....) had two 12" drivers and a huge cellular type horn on top.

The Single Channel Kalee Duosonic amp stood 5 foot tall in a large steel cabinet with lots of chokes an U52 recs in the bottom, but only 4 KT66 wired for 30W class A? at 450V....

Even back then when it was made 40's/50's,--It was Bi Wired, the OPT had two secondaries one for L/F and other for H/F

Sure was bloody loud though--even on a hall that size, and located behind the screen, I sometimes got complaints from residents across the road!
Ha!--Just 30W!:D

--Prolly still just as I left it--25 odd years ago, the hall is defo still there....:eek:

Hi,

I have this wonderfull power amplifiers, I need check components and voltages..

To the KT66 plates are 370V 47ma, four tubes double push pull, by each mono amplifier..

To center tap connection to primary output transformer, directly from each power supply, I don't know because the schematic I have it is very old, some parts are difficult read,

Do you have the schematics, anybody can help me get it?

Thanks,

Manuel

I am talking about:

Gaumont Kalee Duosonic

Power amplifiers;

Type Number 916
BAF Ltd London
serial Number 464

Type Number 916
BAF Ltd London
serial Number 466

Power Supplies:

Type Number 917
BAF Ltd London
serial Number 399

Type Number 917
BAF Ltd London
serial Number 420

Thanks

Cinema speakers in the 50's used horn loaded Altec speaker of more than 105db with 6-8 SE watt amps.Some modern speakers take lots of power and are not suitable for S Ended amps.
Not only because modern speakers need lots of power, many have very poor damping so SE amps with low damping factors are not suitable unless you enjoy bloated bass.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.