• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Soliciting Enthusiastic Recommendations for 50+WPC Kit or Design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Greetings Fellow Tubephiles,

I am new, so please be gentle. :scared:

Can anyone recommend a 50+WPC kit or design (ideally schematic, parts list, and layout) that has great sound?

By "great", I mean those subtle tube euphonics of sweetness, clarity, and openess.

Yes, I'm a newbie, but have successfully assembled a preamp kit, and am currently building a Marchand tube crossover. In other words, I can follow instructions and troubleshoot a proven design, but am not ready to start from scratch.

I also realize that a lower-powered SET amp would be an easier build, but need the power. I am willing to pay for quality, but not boutique, components. And I am willing to pay for the design as well.

I'd really like the challenge and satisfaction of DIY--can you help me with a strong recommendation?

Thanks, and Happy Building, :wave:

George Ferguson

How about this one?

Hey Bas,

Thanks--that is exactly the sort of suggestion I am soliciting. :bullseye: :up:

It looks like the design is from K&K, a retailer
of Lundahl transformers, and specifies which
of their products to use. That's great, and
very helpful to newbies like me.

Can you, or any others, comment on the quality
of this design? Given that K&K seems to be
an established dealer, and Lundahl a respected
brand (correct me if I am wrong), is it reasonable
to trust this design?

Have you had any experience with it?

Is this a fairly straighforward, proven design,
which should have great sound?

Thanks for the tip! :nod:

Best,

George Ferguson

what sensitivity speakers are yours?

Hi Dmitry,

Greetings to you in Russia! Thanks for writing in English, for my Russian is very bad. :faint:

My speakers are very inefficient (86 dB), and 4 ohms too! And I love them. Otherwise I would be glad to warm up with a nice single ended triode.

Actually I may build a SET eventually, for when I tri-amp I will be able to use one on my tweeter.

Thanks for your message, and best wishes,

George Ferguson

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.