• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

12ax7+12au7 for DAC i/v

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi
i have ad1865N DAC with 1ma on 50ohm resistor >> 50mv

today i use clone m7 preamp with 3*12ax7 and it work fine.

in the past people in this forum offer me to work with more simple design with no feedback and 3 stage, i think of cathode follower design like this.

what do you think about the 12ax7 scheme? the gain is great for me.

what about 12au7: i have only one :(. can i mix the design?
first stage with 12ax7 and 2 stage with the 12au7?

thanks

Attachments

• 12ax7_schematics.gif
    12ax7_schematics.gif
    4.8 KB · Views: 795
  • 12au7_schematics.gif
    12au7_schematics.gif
    4.6 KB · Views: 459
  • 12au7_12ax7schematics.gif
    12au7_12ax7schematics.gif
    6.2 KB · Views: 450
Are you able to implement a constant current source without too much struggle? I ask because you will no longer need 300V for that 12AX7. 150-200V with a CCS set to 1mA and any variety of devices under the cathode will give you maximum gain from the first stage with minimum distortion. You should also bypass the cathode resistor under the 12AX7, or use a low impedance diode to obtain your bias voltage.

Directly couple the plate of the 12AX7 to the grid of the 12AU7. Assuming you've reduced B+ to 200V and used the CCS, use a ~33K resistor under the cathode of the 12AU7.

The 12AU7 will make for a better cathode follower than the 12AX7, but the 12AU7 doesn't have the gain you need to be used in the first stage.

hi
i think i go for the 2*12ax7 circuit for the DAC i\v with 100ohm i\v resistor.

the DAC output include DC component, ~2v

some designers use filter (HPF?) between the DAC output and the tube, some use nothing.
how the DC in the tube input can influence the tube stage?
thanks

The 12AU7 would be a better cathode follower, while the 12AX7 is a better voltage amp. I'd use the 12AX7 for both left and right channels, and a 12AU7 again for both channels.

As for the 2V bias on the DAC output, you could use a coupling cap to the 12AX7. Or direct couple it and make the 12AX7 cathode resistor bigger to get the desired plate current (but at reduced voltage gain).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.