• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Marantz Model 9 Prototype.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I recently picked*up a Model 9 and I'm having a tough time nailing it*down as to how early it is.

It has no serial plate on the back nor does it look like there was ever one there. The only stamp is in ink on the bottom of the chassis showing #9-6.

A couple things about this one that I've not seen alot of or at all.

1. Not having a serial plate.

2. Not having bias pots marked/screen printed behind the front cover.

3. 4 small screws at the corners of the front lower plate. Have seen only a few*with these.*

4. No screw holes for the sheild that sits between the transformer and the OT's.

5. The front cover isn't embossed with the marantz logo.

6. No vent perforations on the back panel.

7. triode/70w switch is on the front panel*and not on the back by the tubes.

8. The elusive V2 tube installed.

I've been told that this is indeed a Sid Smith prototype that may have been used to assess transformers towards the end of the engineering phase. It is the only known unit that has the elusive V2 tube that was omitted from the final design, schematic, etc.

Notice how the manual skips V2 and all production units only had 7 total tubes.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Knowing the historical significance here, can anyone help me locate two front plate screws and a rear meter sheid? That's all it would take to complete this!

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
No idea where to find those parts, I've not worked on a Marantz 9 in about 20 years and memory is now very sketchy..

What a find though, amazing in fact.

Might want to have a look at some of the industrial supply houses, if the missing hardware was off the shelf (shield excluded) perhaps someone still makes it.

Potentially its as found condition is more authentic and anything you do to it detracts from its value. (Not sure, but something to consider)

Anything to alter such a classic ( I have an original 8b ) will have detrimental costs to future value
Have to agree with Kevin
Modding will improve its performance and detract from the aura of ownership by many considering these
Choose your road carefully as these will only go up in value unaltered👆
And way down when touched with the almighty soldering iron👇😔
Alas

Regards
David

If you need parts for the amp contact VAC in Florida. They built the reissues for Marantz a few years back. They took great pains to make as exact a copy as possible. Even sourcing an original drum of the potting oil for the transformers. They have a list of leftover Model 9 parts on the website or contact Kevin there.

I weaseled the unknowns out of the only man in the US to ever rebuild a Model 9 output transformer. Heyboer built me two power transformers and two output transformers and I fabricated four aluminum pots for them. Those amps will be 'keepers.'

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.