• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

How many grid stoppers do I need ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
We're often concerned about RF oscillation within the amplifier more than external RFI sources. My personal approach to this problem is to own a scope with 300~500MHz bandwidth so spurious oscillations cannot hide from me and I can avoid grid stopper overkill. Be aware that touching a probe to some circuits can stop an oscillation, so it's wise to use the probe more like an antenna when troubleshooting. I have a 3GHz RF spectrum analyzer as well, but I've never confirmed a spurious oscillation in an audio amplifier in the GHz range.

IF you have internal oscillation problems firstyou need to improve separation, shielding and grounding rather than applying a band aid solution.

At least in my experience, the main utility of grid stoppers resides in stopping external RF interference, mainly Radio stations.

The primary purpose of a grid stopper is to stop parasitic RF oscillation. For this it is not a "band aid" but the correct tool for the job; it adds positive resistance to overcome the negative resistance seen at a valve port. Only when unusually high values are needed can it be seen as a substitute for good layout. Note that grid stoppers may increase the risk of feedback loop instability, by adding phase shift.

A secondary purpose is to filter out incoming RF, but a proper filter may be better.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.