• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Bogen Console Revamp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Thought some of you might be interested in this, even tho it isn't really DIY. More RIY (Repair it Yourself)

Been working on an old stereo console for a friend. It's a large console, and a 2 piece unit, which I've never seen. The speakers and storage are in a lower unit, the amp, turntable and the bar are in the upper section. Or they could be placed side by side if you had the space. This is circa 1960. Came out of New Jersey.

The speakers had been gutted, so I don't know what was in there. Maybe Jensen or Utah, who knows. There was a 12" woofer and no tweeter that I can tell, tho there is a cutout that might have taken a Hepner Horn. I put in a high QTS woofer and a cone tweeter, simple crossover. I got a lot more bass than I planned on. Kinda one-note, but pleasant.

The radio/amp is a Bogen model SRB20. I was lucky that it came with the manual and the schematic. It's an AM/FM, all tube, with ELC82 P-P outputs. B+ is 220V. Rated at 10 WPC 4, 8, 16 ohm taps. 12AX7 for the inputs and phono section, as was typical. Dual EZ81 rectifiers. No choke, just RC filtering.

The amp was filthy! Covered by a thick layer of dust on top and grime in the front. I got it nicely cleaned up, but it's still no museum piece. All the switches, selectors and pots were noisy and crackly, so bad it hardly had any output. A lot of CRC and DeOxit later, all is good. The thing works just fine, radio, mag phono input, aux input. Radio is mono, as it was meant to use an outboard Multiplex decoder. I spent a lot of time restringing the FM tuner, the string kept jumping off. Had to make a guide to keep it on track.

All that's left is to clean up the Garrard 210 turntable and get it running at speed, then reire the fluorescent light in the bar. The turntable is a mess underneath, see photo below. Cartridge in an EV with the 78/LP flip needle. Ceramic cart, I think.

I will scan the schematic and other info and post it here, if anyone is interested.

Attachments

• console amp.jpg
    console amp.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 129
  • Speaker Cab.jpg
    Speaker Cab.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 124
  • amp face.jpg
    amp face.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 113
  • amp top.jpg
    amp top.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 109
  • amp bottom.jpg
    amp bottom.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 112
  • Garrard 210.jpg
    Garrard 210.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 74
  • 210 bottom.jpg
    210 bottom.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 66
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
The goal is simply getting it to work and play music. It's for sale in a friend's shop, mostly for its furniture value, but I hated to see it not working at all. The TT is being a real pain to get working right. Draggy and slow. I do have a Garrard stylus scale, so will be sure to keep tracking force out of the 10 gram range. ;) If I owned it, I'd do a lot more to it. But it's not in the budget to do a full restore.*

Thanks for the advice on the ECL82 outputs. So the Bogen 10 WPC is a little overstated? Oh well, not surprised. And I will take a close listen to the mag input. It works and I did notice it was a bit noisy. As the cart looks like a ceramic model, I may not use that input. However I do want a functioning AUX input as well as phono.

*I own 60s vintage Maganvox and Clairtone consoles that are getting more time and effort.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.