How much voltage won't kill me? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th March 2004, 10:52 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default How much voltage won´t kill me?

I am going to build some tube amp, but i want something stronger then 300b, for example sv811, 845, 211 etc. 845 needs 1000voltage, i thing it is lethal, 211 it is the same, what about sv811? Every opinion is valued.
Old 5th March 2004, 11:32 AM   #2
EC8010 is offline EC8010  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

It's the volts that jolts, but the mills (mA) that kills.

20mA is sufficient to kill you. Human bodies are mainly composed of water, so they're very conductive. (Dry) skin resistance tends to limit current, but in the wrong circumstances, such as on an operating table, a 9V battery could kill you. Under more normal circumstances, anything over 50V is considered to be hazardous.

To be honest, if you have to ask the question, you shouldn't be contemplating an amplifier with 1kV inside it.
Old 5th March 2004, 12:54 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

So what about 600-700v
Old 5th March 2004, 01:09 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

What do you think? If 50V is hazardous, 600V must be .... (fill in) hazardous.
Old 5th March 2004, 01:31 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

10000V is not lethal if you know what you are doing, 50V can be lethal if you do something foolish.

Earlier I worked with radar equipment with ~10000V but we learned to work using only one hand with the other in the back pocket, however 220V AC almost killed me at one time when I fooled around.

Regards Hans
Old 5th March 2004, 01:41 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Hans, I think he was asking how much voltage he can fool arround with without having to worry getting killed. Maybe zero volts is the most suitable answer.

PS: do you smell a troll in here ?
Old 5th March 2004, 02:04 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

So when i am doing with only one hand i can´t got electric shock?
Old 5th March 2004, 02:14 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

The last time people started talking like this the moderators went into a tizzy. I ended up getting sin binned for mentioning actual numbers.
Curiously, I never could get the moderators to actually take a stand on what amount of voltage was safe and what wasn't.
The catch here is that if you go to zero volts in search of "absolute safety," you might as well shut the whole DIY site down. Projects won't work without electricity and electricity is at least potentially dangerous. If you're going to try to build something that works, you'll need volts and a discussion of what voltages can be tolerated by the human body is appropriate.
I guess it's just easier to panic.
Fear, however, isn't an appropriate reaction. Respect electricity, but do not fear it.
Suffice it to say that I've built tube circuits and been hit by the full rail straight off the power supply caps (mid three digits...let's not scare the moderators by mentioning numbers). Usually across one arm, but at least once across both--meaning across my chest, i.e. my heart. It hurt. I cussed. I'm still here.
Different people's physiology may react differently, so someone with a weak enough heart might keel over if they touched a 1.5V battery. I routinely touch 9V batteries to my tongue to test them. With practice, you can ttell how much life is left in the battery that way. Yes, it stings.
The most voltage I've ever taken was in the five digit range (car ignition--the guy who closed the connection thought it was really funny) and I took that one across the chest, too.
Of course, you could get hit by a meteorite lying in bed, or a terrorist might decide to blow up the store you're in, or the plane you're flying in might...
Safety is relative, not absolute, though some people seem to have difficulty absorbing that idea. It's up to you to choose how safe you want to be. Weigh your desire to pursue electronics against the shock hazard. Anyone who has been doing this for any length of time has been shocked. I'm sure that some statistical percentage of folks who do electronics die. What that percentage is will be hard to guess. It'll be buried under all the other accidental electrocutions from bad wiring in blenders and downed power lines from storms.
If you decide to go ahead, make sure that you've got a good collection of cuss words handy. You're going to need them.

Grey
Old 5th March 2004, 02:51 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
So when i am doing with only one hand i can´t got electric shock?
No, it is not that easy but what I tried to say is that if you know what you are doing no voltage how high it can be is actually dangerous.

If you dont feel that you are confident in handling high voltage equipement I think you shouldn't, I was building amplifiers using 750V when I was about 14years old but I was educated by my father how to work in a safe way.

There is nothing especially dangerous with high voltages that can't be easily avoided if you are not going to play with 10000's of volts when corona effects and other nasty things come into play.

Regards Hans
Old 5th March 2004, 03:03 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Many thanks all of you, i have been hit only 220v, it is standard voltage here in Europe, it wasn´t so horrible. I often touch 9V batteries to my tongue to test them too, but i never got 750v shock, so i don´t know if my heart will sustain the shock. I have heard that big electricity can jump on me.

Hide this!Advertise here!