• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Supertotem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi

is it the same (or a variant) of what is usually called a "Gomez" stage?

Not too many people know about the Gomez circuit which is similar but not quite the same.

Just asking about the virtues.

The advantages are there same as for any other twin triode run in // as are the disadvantages.

During the days when anything called a cathode follower was a big no-no and as the SRPP was popular this technique was used to lower Zo and increase transconductance and linearity using just two tubes.
Another advantage is that you can bring Vf very close or even equal to Vc without affecting the bottom triodes.

Cheers,;)

tweaks

Seems to me that changing V2 (on the Supertotem schematic) to a set of pentodes would make it work better. V2a would act as a true current source load, giving V1a higher gain and better linearity. V2b would have more gain to degenerate locally as a cathode follower. The screen voltage supply would have to float, being referenced to V2a's cathode. Maybe R8 could be eliminated then, or bypassed, to lower Zo also.

Of course, with this many tubes to play with, one could just make a LTP to control the output totem pole pair with a gain-setting resistive feedback loop back to the LTP grid #2.

Konnichiwa,

filippo22 said:
A new super SRPP preamp circuit called "Supertotem" is now published on my site.

Actually, in most ways this is functionally equivalent to a SRPP coupled to a white follower. It was covered ages ago in l'Audiophile and used among others by Bel Canto in their 845 SET Amp's.

My own take for a "Supertotem" is attached. The 1.2mA Current Source is meant to be J-Fet & Resistor....

Sayonara

Attachments

• super-mu-stage.gif
    super-mu-stage.gif
    7.3 KB · Views: 537
diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi

Actually, in most ways this is functionally equivalent to a SRPP coupled to a white follower.

What is "this" ?
The diagram on Philippos' site's got nothing to do with what is shown by you at all.

Seems to me that changing V2 (on the Supertotem schematic) to a set of pentodes would make it work better. V2a would act as a true current source load, giving V1a higher gain and better linearity. V2b would have more gain to degenerate locally as a cathode follower.

Adding complexity to try to extract more gain inevitably compromises parameters elsewhere...
In most cases and to my ears most importantly, a simple SRPP stage often sounds better than a u-follower.
It seems to me that most people are drawn in by the fact that it has higher gain compared to the SRPP...

In the meantime they forget that gain always comes at a price; if you want supergain go for a penthode or a cascode stage.
And we all know how linear those are, don't we?

Oh, while on cascodes, there's only a handful of tubes that are really suited for this service and you'd better study the datasheets, preferably the ones from the manufacturer of the tube you plan to use...Which is never a bad idea in any case.

So unless I have a very specific use for it, I simply don't even consider it.

All of which is just my not so humble opinion of course:D

Cherio,;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.