• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6GK5 as input tube for phono preamp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Why no love for 6GK5 as the input stage of a simple RIAA preamp? It seems to have the necessary gain, and also low grid-plate capacitance. It's a frame grid triode with high transconductance. It may not be very linear, but that's not the most important thing with such a small input signal. I've only seen one design using a simple common cathode 6GK5 as the input stage (Jeremy Epstein), but bazillions of preamps using ECC88/6DJ8/6922 as the first stage. Why?

--

Very good question. ;) As long as you stay reasonably close to the origin on the plate curves, the 6GK5 is quite linear. You get into trouble at the extreme, where variable μ kicks in.

BTW, Poindexter was hand matching 6GK5 pairs and using them in the LTPs of his "musical machine". So, the 6GK5 is good at medium signal levels too.

Good question!

The reason I was looking 6GK5 is (if I can find a few) it will have lower input capacitance than other triodes with mu of 70 or so (12AX7, 6J52P-triode, etc.). But 6JC6 looks as good in that department too. That might be a winner. Thanks!
--

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.