• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Cathodyne investigation - stop the presses!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I checked visually both phases, but didn't combine them in something like a interstage coupling transformer. It was obvious visually on each FFT when either load crossed the line. I just didn't include in my visuals to the forum. That's how I arrived at the 21.5% bias level. Both sides didn't degrade and then when they did then both pretty much did it together. Above or below that one went before the other.

As far as putting in a high value resistor instead of the 1k, it doesn't make any difference. I just checked. Do it yourself on spice. What does make a difference is varying the ratio of the 1 meg resistor to the one below it. You can optimize everything if you aren't juggling operation of two stages. A waste of time.

Still seems that the simulation results don't match with real-life experience so much. If it was really such a "waste of time" then someone certainly would have measured it with a spectrum analyser ages ago.

I guess I'm still a skeptic. Maybe some day I will put together a spectrum analyser... Its much cheaper to do this today and is one of those nagging things that I hope to do soon.

Btw - the bigger grid stopper does help with reverse transients, but probably not with THD. Nice idea to simulate it and share your results here though. I just think there must be a fly in the soup.

Edit - I see now that you found merlin's article.

Ian

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.