• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Thinking Outside the Box - A Different Kind of Triode Audio Amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I built only the power amp & driver section for 'Proof of Concept'. Power provided by lab power supplies. The iron is Hammond, similar to their 1650N, but one-half the primary impedance.

Too many other projects finished here on the shelf, don't need another I may never use.:). Especially at this age. Time to goof off.

Attachments

• IMG_0476 A Different Kind Of Triode Amp 100 dpi 10C.jpg
    IMG_0476 A Different Kind Of Triode Amp 100 dpi 10C.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 121
I posted an old schematic but just as easily could have changed the tube designators to the octals. Main point is that the cct works either way. Best part it doesn't oscillate.:)

For comparative measurements of D%, Etc check the Table A in 'Out of the Box' Part lll. The BQ7 family looks very good. Much better than audiophools would want us to believe!

Attachments

• VAMPIRE Dehavilland DH100 Vampire E.jpg
    VAMPIRE Dehavilland DH100 Vampire E.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 123
Incoming flack:
https://frank.pocnet.net/sheets/093/6/6BQ7A.pdf

They don't seem to be rated for much plate V or very linear. They are cheap at least.
The gm curves versus grid voltage might sum to a near constant for differential mode with a resistive tail.

6BQ7s seem to have a squirrelly plate characteristic (undocumented variable-mu?) but I've used them a for a cascoded LTP with active tail loading, and for that they work great. You can get the distortion estimates down by keeping VPK up.

Just watch out for the cheaper versions that connect the heaters in series: they ring like bells. The ones with parallel connected heaters don't seem to be especially microphonic.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.