Can I use a PP interstage for SE? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th June 2016, 08:17 AM   #1
jev is offline jev  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default Can I use a PP interstage for SE?

Hi all, I have an interstage (very nice from Tribute) that is designed for a PP 6h30 into a Hypex module (3+3:1+1). I had many problems with the amp and have decided to stop bugfixing it.
Can I use this for a SE amplifier by putting the primaries in parallel and the secondaries in series (so end up with 1.5:1)? Or is a PP interstage fundamentally differently build than a SE interstage? I read something about the air gap.... Thanks
Old 12th June 2016, 08:27 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Yes, the air gap is very important and necessary if you have DC in the primary.

You can do whatever with the transformer if you go parafeed.
Old 12th June 2016, 08:58 AM   #3
jev is offline jev  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Great. I understand parafeed is like the schema's (in the DHT Rob schema see the dots for capacitor positions as I understand).

Questions would be:
1. Is there a preferred position for the capacitor (green or red dot)?
2. What are the capacitor values that I need for interstage position in a end-amplifier?
3. What is the sonic advantage of an IT in parafeed above a capacitor?

Click the image to open in full size.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg parafeed.pptx.jpg (105.5 KB, 228 views)
Old 12th June 2016, 09:30 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I prefer to put the parafeed cap in the green position because it keeps it biased up with maximum potential difference across it - which is good for linearity. I also suggest looking at taking the cold terminal to the valves cathode rather than earth. This takes the cathode bypass out of the signal path.
Many people undersize their parafeed cap going for something around 4-6uf. This introduces a resonance between the cap and the transformer which can give a bass boost. I would avoid trying this intentional sound shaping and go for at least 10-20uf to keep the resonance below 10hz.

Shoog
Old 12th June 2016, 11:07 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jev View Post
Questions would be:
1. Is there a preferred position for the capacitor (green or red dot)?
You cannot have a capacitor in the green spot. It's at the secondary side and would leave the secondary floating and the primary would have DC flowing thru it.

If I understand you correctly, you are asking whether it's preferable to have the order

1) plate -> cap -> OT primary -> ground

2) plate -> OT primary -> cap -> ground

And the answer to that is: it doesn't really matter. I've done it both ways and absolutely no sonic difference.

It comes down to some marginal preferences. Even though transformers never ever break down, I like to think that if they were to break down, the cap in option #1 would protect the output. I only use parafeed in the output section.

Quote:
2. What are the capacitor values that I need for interstage position in a end-amplifier?
5k primary? I'd start with 8 or 10 F and measure the frequency response.

I use 4F and 10k : 4R transformers, and it gives a small 1 to 2 dB bump centering at 10 Hz and completely level from 17 Hz up. Sometimes I use 8F or 10F. Makes no audible difference that I can hear with my headphones.

Quote:
3. What is the sonic advantage of an IT in parafeed above a capacitor?
In an interstage coupling function? Well, none.

If you need gain, it could help with that. Many "only DHT" people use interstages because of that.

If you especially want to use an interstage for any reason, using it parafeed will make it perform to it's absolute best capability. So there's that.
Old 12th June 2016, 11:09 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Also of course if you need phase splitting.
Old 12th June 2016, 11:16 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Sorry I missed that it wont work as drawn.
You need a plate load CCS or choke to make it work in parafeed.
You should have just about enough voltage for a CCS if you use the 490V supply.

I also question if the use of such an IT in this application brings any benefits at all over a simple Cap, since the cap is still there whatever you do.

Shoog
Old 12th June 2016, 11:16 AM   #8
45 is offline 45  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jev View Post
Hi all, I have an interstage (very nice from Tribute) that is designed for a PP 6h30 into a Hypex module (3+3:1+1). I had many problems with the amp and have decided to stop bugfixing it.
Can I use this for a SE amplifier by putting the primaries in parallel and the secondaries in series (so end up with 1.5:1)? Or is a PP interstage fundamentally differently build than a SE interstage? I read something about the air gap.... Thanks
Unfortunately the air-gap is necessary for SE. You can ask Pieter if it is possible to put an air-gap.

You can use it in PP for driving a SE output stage, provided that the driver is not the splitter at the same time (you can use an input splitting transformer, for example). I have seen this done by Audio Tekne in the past to drive the 845 in class A1 with the typical small signal triodes. If I remember correctly the ratio was 2:1 (full primary to full secondary). It would be also useful in cases where the input impedance of power stage is low, like Schade-feedback output stage. If it works with 6H30, I suspect it will also work with tubes of similar or slightly higher plate impedance if you need different (higher) voltage swing.

Another way to use it is to drive 1/2 of primary with SE driver and the other 1/2 only DC (so with another active device) to compensate the DC induction but this would not be my first choice.

I don't like resonant parafeed....

Last edited by 45; 12th June 2016 at 11:19 AM.
Old 12th June 2016, 11:18 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

If it gets him to use a proper plate load, he'll come out miles ahead in terms of transparency.

I'd recommend a simple one FET gyrator instead of a CCS.
Old 12th June 2016, 11:19 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Drive it with a LTP using the transformer as a PP > SE converter. Should work nicely with lower overall distortion.

Shoog

Last edited by Shoog; 12th June 2016 at 11:36 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!