• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Changing caps for preamp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
On various forum, there are discussions on the sonic diffenence in the change of the 1uF caps to different brand like Jensan, MCaps etc.

I just wonder what would be the expected change in sonic characteristics by increasing or lowering the capacitance without changing the brand?

If i want to put capacitors from different brands in parallel, should I keep the total capacitor = 1uF?

As these are presumably coupling caps changing the value will have an effect on the high-pass formed by the cap and the input impedance of the next stage. Lowering may deprive you of some bass while increasing will allow lower frequencies through. Often increasing a cap above the value required produces more solid bass but at the expense of midrange quality. You just have to try and see how you like it. To my ears (sensible) variations in the values of coupling caps is not nearly as audible as using a different brand.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.