• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Would there be any harm using 10K OPT for 45 tubes?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The inductance is specified at 120 Hz; most likely measured with a digital inductance meter.
These meters put out 0.5 - 5 V which does not tell that much as inductance varies with frequency and signal level.
However 20 H is a bit too low for a 5k primary impedance; that is a mere 2k4 load at 20 Hz.
A good 5k transformer needs at least 40 H.

Don't forget the medium mu (5687; ECC99; E182CC; 6H6) and high mu (5842; E810F; 6C45) tubes which are suitable for transformer coupling with ratios in the order of 4:1. Plate resistance of these tubes is around 2k.

I know but these are not traditional audio tubes once used with transformer coupling. None of them was made for HiFi except the ECC99 which is recent.

The 6H6 is double diode. Did you mean something else?

The inductance is specified at 120 Hz; most likely measured with a digital inductance meter.
These meters put out 0.5 - 5 V which does not tell that much as inductance varies with frequency and signal level.
However 20 H is a bit too low for a 5k primary impedance; that is a mere 2k4 load at 20 Hz.
A good 5k transformer needs at least 40 H.

Max 5V input means minimum inductance. At lower frequency inductance will also improve because of less losses, especially in this case of EI core.
The standard for measuring inductance is 3-5V @50Hz. Between 50Hz and 20Hz there is very little difference.
I would say that the inductance of that transformer is at least 50-60% higher a low frequency and good signal.

At small signal tubes like the 45 and 4P1L are happy with lower impedance as well because they are linear. Even with 20H and enough current, say 30-35 mA, they could swing quite some undistorted voltage. Easily 30-40V @20Hz (cut-off at about 55-60V). Already perfectly fine from 25-30Hz.

The standard for measuring inductance is 3-5V @50Hz.

I have never seen or found a "standard" for measuring primary inductance of audio transformers.
If you have please tell me where.
Most of the time this specification is incomplete as frequency, amplitude and applying DC current or not are not indicated.
My digital LCR meter puts out a mere 0.3 V, but comparing the inductance measurement with real measurement of the tube stage with signal generator and oscilloscope I have learned how to interprete.

I have never seen or found a "standard" for measuring primary inductance of audio transformers.
If you have please tell me where.

Japanese transformers. They are THE reference because they re-started the business and perfected everything before anyone else.

Giving minimum inductance instead of maximum inductance is more informative. The reason is obvious especially in this case as it cannot be worse.
For this any good transformer book or well written core datasheet will tell the difference between small and large signal, 50Hz and 120Hz etc...
If you know how trasformers work, once inductance is measured you know the limit for a given application.

Japanese transformers. They are THE reference because they re-started the business and perfected everything before anyone else.

World class transformers, but that does not mean they established an inductance measuring protocol which is followed by (all) other brands.
This means it is difficult to compare based on these different measurement methods.

World class transformers, but that does not mean they established an inductance measuring protocol which is followed by (all) other brands.
This means it is difficult to compare based on these different measurement methods.

They have established a protocol that is more useful for the client. You don't have to do comparisons or measurements to understand the limits because giving minum inductance is enough. They are the best also for this reason. You know what you are buying. No unpleasant surprises.

Other brands are free to do what they want but it doesn't change the fact that such a protocol is more informative and true in relation to the application.
Especially in this case the transformer will work most of the time with small signals (i.e. few volts).

They are the best also for this reason.

That is your subjective opinion; no problem with that.
However there are more parameters than LF bandwidth which make the sound quality of audio transformers (you will agree...).
Discussing the inductance issue has been done on this forum several times before, and in the meantime we are way off topic here, actually hijacking this thread.
So I leave now as more important tasks are waiting.

That is your subjective opinion; no problem with that.
Not just mine.
However there are more parameters than LF bandwidth which make the sound quality of audio transformers (you will agree...).
Yes I agree and they are a reference also for the rest. They have been mastering winding techniques since a long time ago and always been the first to introduce new core materials and many other transformer materials like insulators, wires etc. Many of those materials have been developed by them.
One thing that some improvised transformer winders (you should know one that fortunately is not here anymore...;) ) don't get is how to draw comparisons. This possibly leads to wrong answers.

Discussing the inductance issue has been done on this forum several times before, and in the meantime we are way off topic here, actually hijacking this thread.
Oh I know but if it comes back so often I would think it is not well understood or is brought up again by an inexperienced user. I don't see any problem. Repetita iuvant!:D

So I leave now as more important tasks are waiting.

Ok. Bye.

I have a pair Transcendar 10K/600R output transformers that I plan to use for a 45 preamp. Normally people use 5K ones for 45 tubes. My question is would there be any disadvantage of using 10K ones?

Also have a Harman Kardon XT-3 Microphone transformers that I am thinking of using as stepup input transformers. Could anyone suggest the best configuration to make the best use of these transformers that I currently have?

Cheers

hi,

do you have a design in mind? i would like to build one also. I won't be needing any gain as my amplifier is quite sensitive.

thanks

I have a pair Transcendar 10K/600R output transformers that I plan to use for a 45 preamp. Normally people use 5K ones for 45 tubes. My question is would there be any disadvantage of using 10K ones?

Also have a Harman Kardon XT-3 Microphone transformers that I am thinking of using as stepup input transformers. Could anyone suggest the best configuration to make the best use of these transformers that I currently have?

Cheers
my stax amp is around 10k 2a3, no fb. sounds nice.
330v/32ma

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.