• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Brook 12A Mono blocks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Very Nice

I heard a pair of Brook 12a amps and they were quite nice but very expensive.
I like the Heyboer and Elecktraprint iron and I'm actually having Phil wind me a set of Peerless P-271s again only this time I want to source some Nickel for the center like Peerless used in the original P-271s as well as some of their other trafos but he said he would put it in if I can find it.
I see the Lundahl chokes underneath or is that an innerstage of some kind?

Hi,

Sorry to dig this old thread. I'm keen to try this design but don't have the original coupling transformer (T2) and am looking around.

I found one from One-Electron (PRC-3) , but the specs are kind of different, OR, I'm reading it wrong. Can I get somebody to please check this link and help with an answer. I'm happy to start a separate thread, let me know. Thanks.

Choke - One Electron, Audio, PRC-3, 225H for Preamp Output | Antique Electronic Supply

The One Electron PRC-3 is an air-gapped choke intended as a single-ended driver or line output stage load. It is identical to the chokes used in the Artemis Labs line amp and phono premaps. For the Brook amplifier driver stage, you would need a center-tapped or dual-winding choke, and an air gap would not be necessary.

BTW, I owned a Brook 12A and preamp years ago, and it was an excellent sounding set-up.

- John Atwood
One Electron

I've got the Brook going. There are some strange things happening. The NFB is at 1K.

It runs fine with great HF, ok mids and very little bass till about 30-45m. Then the sound balances out nicely.

After about an hour-and-half, the mains trafo gets uncomfortably hot and the bass from the speakers starts popping. You can hear a constant popping noise on bass from the music. It is not too evident at low volumes.

I don't want to hijack this thread and am happy to start a new one. Just thought I'd keep the Brook info in one location. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Here's a scribbled image of the values. Forgot to mention, these are not monoblocks. The PS is one BIG chunk of IRON for both channels in a single chassis.

Attachments

• Brook-datasheet - Power Supply with CAP & Choke.jpg
    Brook-datasheet - Power Supply with CAP & Choke.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 243
That amp uses back-bias. How are you confirming the bias power in to each 2A3?

It's quite possible that some part (most likely a valve) is starting to break down. How new are all the coupling caps, and magnetics? It's very easy nowadays to add diode protection to the valve diode, and a secondary side fuse, to avoid collateral damage if something is failing.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.