• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Reason for tube converter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Guitarists engage in tube rolling on the level of "well it has the same socket, lets see what happens". so perhaps this allows them to go one further?

6n2p to 12ax7/ecc83 socket adapters make some sense and i have seen those for sale. I've also seen some for power tubes that are very similar except for the base. 6973 to 6v6 for example.

Most people can't conceive of moving some wires around or replacing a socket in an amplifier. But many of them have done tube changes, so an adapter socket is something they can get their heads around.

Easy as it is to move a few wires on a socket, the adaptor route allows one to change back and forth at will, without having to rewire each time. I agree with ericj, in guitar amp land, it isn't about sameness and fidelity, it is all about nuance and difference. And often pushed outside the linear operation of the tube. So if a 6SNy distorts in a different manner than a 12AX7 audibly, then it is of interest.

I can think of times a 12AX7/6EU7 adaptor would have been handy.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.