GU 19 VS GU 19-1 What's the difference ? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th April 2016, 08:36 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default GU 19 VS GU 19-1 What's the difference ?

so maybe some of you know is there any difference ?
I simply have a source that can give me GU 19 tubes they dont have the -1 written after the GU 19 are they different from the GU 19-1?
at some pics I see some added caps dishes inside the GU 19 that are not present at GU 19-1 atleast not in the ones I have.
Old 5th April 2016, 09:51 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to JonSnell Electronic
It is the same valve. Take a look at the data sheet http://www.r-type.org/pdfs/gu19-1.pdf
If you look up GU19 it takes you the Valve Museum and is listed with the -1 suffix.
Great for RF if you are building a transmitter at 500MHZ.
Old 5th April 2016, 12:41 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

well I dunno I'm using them in the Priboi tube amp output and they work okay.
Old 5th April 2016, 01:08 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to JonSnell Electronic
They are fine but best for HF use. In class C the power is amazing at HF.
Old 13th April 2016, 08:57 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

ok heres the thing , I just inserted the GU 19 not the GU 19-1 but 19 version and from what I read in the spec sheet that came with the old packaging the cathode current is much bigger , as I now inserted them in the Priboi , I started adjusting the idle current which for them seems to be much higher since with previous settings the 6R3S-1 tube was running at normal , now as I played some music in the background just to make sure signal is going through in one channel the cathode fuse simply blew itself like an explosive , before that I had a 1A rated fuse which simply gave up without any noise before I had the chance to see that then I placed a 3.15A fuse which at first was okay but once the bass cam on in the song it suddenly burst itself into a million tiny pieces of glass with a loud bang.

Can anyone tell me why that happened? is it simply because of overcurrent or is there a problem ?
Old 13th April 2016, 11:03 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

or there is a possibility that I now start to see that maybe one of the tubes in that channel is bad , perhaps the anode is shorting out to cathode under current etc?
the other channel isn't blowing fuses.
Old 13th April 2016, 03:31 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

ok in case anyone's interested which doesn't seem the case , I continued to regulate the bias current and the next time i switched the power on the fuse wasn't blowing anymore. and everything was ok, now all tubes work , I wonder what caused the fuse to blow in the first place ?

can there be something that can happen to a tube if it has been stored out of use for decades? visually the tubes were all ok but as I said in one channel at first the fuse blew two times and now it works and I haven't done anything other than set up a higher bias current since it was low at first.

Hide this!Advertise here!