• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Has anyone used an opamp to split phase for a tube amp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
but also: no hum, no noise, clear treble and bass, less chances for distorsing driving tubes or from external causes like RF ,...

It is vice verse. :)
I assume you did not experience a jaw dropping sensation when you look in the room, but don't see that guy who touches contrabas strings by his fingernails.

Can you recommend a simple schematic, KT88 push-pull, stereo power amp, full tubes, not expensive, no hum, no noise, ...? simple cathode biasing, UL or triode connection ...

I designed many of them. No hum, no noise, sounds like real performers in the room. :)

Back in the 60ies the concertina phase splitter was often used in RF amplifiers! Any tube phase splitter will be unbalanced if the load is unbalanced.

Inserting a driver stage and moving the splitter at the input has removed the issue. But the conclusion is that now the splitter has much easier life! It's not because there is an OP amp. A tube concertina or a tube LTP splitter at the input of the amplifier presented in this thread will behave just as good as any OP amp, if done right. Reading about some SS suggestions adding a tube might be cheaper.....:D

Please be so kind and draw this complete circuit so I can see it ...

There's a completely fleshed-out design example with 'discrete op-amp' high voltage drivers and direct coupling given in post #2 of this thread. It should be pretty easy to adapt this design for use with other power tubes. I have released this design into the public domain -- you can ignore the copyright notice.

Nope. The big investment of a tubeamp is transformers (output and mains), tubes, where powertubes take the lions share.

Driver tubes and components is a tiny part. Using op-amps will involve additional powersupplies, most likely symmetrical
that is not needed in a tube design.

The need for op amp(s) in a tube power amp is similar to the need for mosquitoes in a summer house.

The need for op amp(s) in a tube power amp is similar to the need for mosquitoes in a summer house.

Not necessarily, if you want something special.
I wanted to take use of full potential of great 6N6P twin triode. In typical AB1 circuit this can produce some 3 W. With AB2 some 7...8 W is available with very good linearity.

If this were built with tubes only, the circuit would become quite complicated and a lot of glass is needed.

Attachments

• ekat protot.jpg
    ekat protot.jpg
    500.1 KB · Views: 300
  • 6N6P_op_skema_2.GIF
    6N6P_op_skema_2.GIF
    16.2 KB · Views: 299
Follow up question for the group.

Do you think this could be taken to the point of pushing a pair of EL34's or similar tube? It seems to me like this would be a great way to build a simple and affordable PP amplifier for those who are curious about tubes but don't want a huge investment.

This could be easily done, in fact I have done it with ADA4700s. I got a pair of decent quality but inexpensive 48V switching supplies to make +-48V rails. I used a configuration like the input stage of an instrumentation amp to drive the tubes.

Distortion of the ADA4700 was very low and only 2nd and third harmonic were detectible almost up to clipping. Many here will consider the idea heresy, but it works extremely well in practice.

Follow up question for the group.

Do you think this could be taken to the point of pushing a pair of EL34's or similar tube?

That point was already passed. If an opamp can drive a KT88, it can certainly drive the much easier load of an EL34.

It seems to me like this would be a great way to build a simple and affordable PP amplifier for those who are curious about tubes but don't want a huge investment.

Nope. Don't agree with most of petertub's post, but have to say that driver tubes are typically an already very small portion of a tube amp's cost.

Not necessarily, if you want something special.
I wanted to take use of full potential of great 6N6P twin triode. In typical AB1 circuit this can produce some 3 W. With AB2 some 7...8 W is available with very good linearity.

If this were built with tubes only, the circuit would become quite complicated and a lot of glass is needed.

That's a fun looking project, any chance you made extra boards?

Would you be willing to share the power supply schematic as well?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.