• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Has anyone used an opamp to split phase for a tube amp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here is an example.

Attachments

• Pyramid-VII-driver-2.4.gif
    Pyramid-VII-driver-2.4.gif
    40.3 KB · Views: 343
What I am looking for is a complete schematic like in the attached picture.
To make the gain stage (and phase splitter) with 2 opamps and next stage are KT88 in push pull. This will be a power amplifier as I already have a preamplifier (RCA outputs)

What could be a best op-amp to use in this schematic? To have enough gain
to drive KT88? I like very much its simplicity and that is why I am asking what was the final schematic that was tested in post number 32 from this topic. Even if in this case the final tubes were EL84 (if I remeber well).

Or, lets split this problem in 2. Does anyone made this first circuit part with opamps? If yes, please share the schematics and used components.
I would like to use tubes only in final output, and i would like to be KT88 ...
but I need this first part circuit.

Attachments

• a14_ss-driver.gif
    a14_ss-driver.gif
    13.8 KB · Views: 342
Any examples for opamps that can swing high enough to feed KT88?

Is more about the ideea of such a hybrid, its simplicity, but also: no hum, no noise, clear treble and bass, less chances for distorsing driving tubes or from external causes like RF , vibrations ... but in the end I would like to use those 4 KT88s :)

Can you recommend a simple schematic, KT88 push-pull, stereo power amp, full tubes, not expensive, no hum, no noise, ...? simple cathode biasing, UL or triode connection ...

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
The OPA604 (or 2604) can run on 48 volts as a total. Your diagram above needs protection for the opamp outputs as they are feeding onto a high voltage point (the grids).
A small series resistor and clamp diodes to the opamp rails would suffice.

OPA604 with +/- 24 volt rails cannot drive KT88 to full output.
The differential cascode input stages of these Hiraga amplifiers run on +/- 85 volt for a reason and can swing over 30 VRMS; that is what you would need to drive a KT88 output stage to begin with.
I doubt if you could find an IC to do the same job; to drive EL84 maybe yes, KT88 don't think so.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
OPA604 with +/- 24 volt rails cannot drive KT88 to full output.
The differential cascode input stages of these Hiraga amplifiers run on +/- 85 volt for a reason and can swing over 30 VRMS; that is what you would need to drive a KT88 output stage to begin with.
I doubt if you could find an IC to do the same job; to drive EL84 maybe yes, KT88 don't think so.

Fair point. That's shows my lack of familiarity with the practicalities of valve stages.

I've not investigated really high voltage standalone opamps (such as the LTC6090... but that is a CMOS input stage... hmmm) although adding discrete circuitry to an opamp as in Pieter's link is doable if a little component heavy.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.