• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

DRD 300b amplifier sound quality?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys,

after auditioning a couple of SET valve amp systems, I gotta say there's some magic going on there! I've only built solid state amps in the past just because its where I've started and what was accessible to me. I'm ready to take the plunge into tubes! I want the magic!

Getting to the question: How does the DRD, monkey, free lunch topology compare sonically with something a bit more "traditional", say a JE Labs or Walton 300b? The simplicity and low parts count really appeal to me, as well as the availability of a resonably priced kit from Welborne. BTW how does Welborne rate in terms of parts quality?

I've done some searching, and suprisingly haven't found much in the way of direct sonic comparisons. Yes, I know its a subjective thing, but everyone's opinion counts in my eyes! :eek: At the risk of having people over-generalize, what I'm looking for are descriptions of characteristics that can be attributed to the topology and not component choice, etc. (ex: solid state has more bass control, tubes have more life/air)

any help appreciated!
Norman

hi,

walton 300B is actually a JE Labs 300B. I have built the JE Labs 300B DX version (76-6SN7-300B) and I was able to compare it with a 300B mono blocks that Jack Elliano made himself (it costed my friend around USD2K)

the DRD 300B is dead silent (Jack is of course a lot better guilder than me, he he) and has a "darker" background. it has excellent low frequency extension and control. although there is something sonically i cannot explain, something that i sense it is not a "normal" SET amp. clinical, perhaps. the midrange is also "different" than most non-DRD SETs.

i am am not sure now if this is of help :xeye:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.