Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Tube Phono Preamps
Tube Phono Preamps
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th March 2016, 10:30 PM   #11
Eli Duttman is offline Eli Duttman  United States
diyAudio Member

The tweaks to the RCA original correct 2 weaknesses: very poor drive capability and mediocre bass extension. The FET buffer disposes of the drive issue and grid leak biasing the 2nd gain block lightly loads the EQ network, for better deep bass behavior.

If you run the numbers provided by RCA, you will find gain of about 45 dB., which seems to be pretty darned good. You want the phono preamp to produce roughly the same signal strength as a "standard" CDP (2 VRMS).
Old 28th March 2016, 10:42 PM   #12
Jeff Yourison is offline Jeff Yourison  United States
diyAudio Member

I am unsure of precise gain, but I don't have to make any volume matching adjustments when switching the source from CD to phono. My guess is that it's close to typical CD level output with my MM Shure M97xe cartridge. The follower reduces output impedance, allowing it to work with 10K input impedances (most amps?).

People say the RIAA accuracy is pretty good -- the schematic was tweaked some (before I did non-critical tweaks) by a couple of people who got it pretty close to the curve.

It sounds neutral to me. Tube rolling doesn't affect it all that much except perhaps to fatten mid-base or, in the case of RCA tubes, seemingly extend the highs a little. The biggest differences are in each record; some are simply better engineered and recorded, I guess. The best recordings really sound good. It might have more bass emphasis than my CD player—I notice that, when comparing the same recordings in CD and vinyl format, but it could just be the remastering on the CD. I don't have the equipment to really analyze this.

[Edit: Eli beat me to this, and did a better job explaining.]

Last edited by Jeff Yourison; 28th March 2016 at 10:44 PM.
Old 28th March 2016, 10:51 PM   #13
jdrouin is offline jdrouin  United States
diyAudio Member

The Shure M97xe has the same output voltage (4mV) as the Ortofon currently in my TT. The input sensitivity on my amp is 0.707 VRMS, and we did measure the input impedence but I have those numbers away from me at home, but the RCA definitely sounds like a viable candidate.

I kind of wanted to avoid MOSFETs, if only because there's a MOSFET follower in my 300B amp and it doesn't have that traditional, sweet sound normally ascribed to tube amps.

But I've got some learning to do before I take on this project, and this information helps a lot.

Any other suggestions out there?
Old 28th March 2016, 11:43 PM   #14
Wavebourn is offline Wavebourn  United States
Designer & Technologist
diyAudio Member

Tube Phono Preamps
One more:

http://igdrassil.narod.ru/audio/pre_riaa/phonoamp.pdf
Old 28th March 2016, 11:48 PM   #15
Wavebourn is offline Wavebourn  United States
Designer & Technologist
diyAudio Member

Tube Phono Preamps
More:

https://translate.google.com/transla...%2F&edit-text=
Old 29th March 2016, 12:22 AM   #16
Sodacose is offline Sodacose  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavebourn View Post
Ooh, that is interesting. Two stage 6N23P with a 6N23P SRPP output (?) at 24V B+.

If we're headed across the phono frontier to the motherland, this one has always intrigued me:

Jeremy Epstein's 6C45P Phono Preamp page
Old 29th March 2016, 01:00 AM   #17
Eli Duttman is offline Eli Duttman  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I kind of wanted to avoid MOSFETs, if only because there's a MOSFET follower in my 300B amp and it doesn't have that traditional, sweet sound normally ascribed to tube amps.
The odds are long that the source follower is not causing your voicing complaint. I am not a 300B fan, as I think it generates excessive 2nd order HD. Perhaps your amp was set up to eliminate euphony in favor of honesty. "Different strokes for different folks." As I favor honesty, I might easily like your amp driving my 94 dB. sensitive bass reflex speakers.

Quote:
Ooh, that is interesting. Two stage 6N23P with a 6N23P SRPP output (?) at 24V B+.

If we're headed across the phono frontier to the motherland, this one has always intrigued me:

Jeremy Epstein's 6C45P Phono Preamp page
The 6C45П (6s45p) comes perilously close to oscillating in its cardboard box. Heavy duty precautions against parasitic oscillation are very much in order, if the type is to be used in a common cathode gain block. As this is your 1st phono preamp build, of Mr. Epstein's DC coupled circuits, the 6GK5 version would (IMO) be a much better choice. The net gain is good too. I'd buffer that design too, as very few tubes set up common cathode are OK working into the 10 Kohm IHF "standard" load.
Old 29th March 2016, 01:25 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Yeah, but I don't have any 6S45P's kicking around in my tube box

This isn't my thread, but I'll take the opportunity to ask you a question, oh wise one Eli. Why don't we see more three stage phono preamps? It seems like the RIAA EQ could be split and shared among three triodes instead of squashed between two. Or we could use a third stage as a low gain, low output impedance stage. Like a 6DJ8>RIAA>6DJ8>12B4A kind of arrangement.

It's probably been done, but I haven't seen it much. I suppose fewer stages is preferred insofar as the KISS approach, but the 40db+ gain requirement (more if you want 2V RMS output) really limits tube choices.
Old 29th March 2016, 01:27 AM   #19
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Tube Phono Preamps
Many of the good phono stages here are over in analog source where you'll find the Salas phono stage, several by Koi Farm, and at least 4 by yours truly. I am a bit puzzled by the fact that most members never ever recommend designs by fellow members. There are some good ones here. (the examples here are all tube or tube/hybrid)

Valve Itch phono

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/diyau...no-preamp.html

The "Muscovite" 6S3P Tube Phonostage

The Muscovite Mini III (6N23P) Phono Stage

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analo...no-preamp.html

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analo...no-preamp.html
Old 29th March 2016, 01:35 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkr View Post
Many of the good phono stages here are over in analog source where you'll find the Salas phono stage, several by Koi Farm, and at least 4 by yours truly. I am a bit puzzled by the fact that most members never ever recommend designs by fellow members.
Part of the issue is that although the forum is great for active collaboration and communication, it isn't ideal for research when someone can't follow all the technical back and forth, especially when we are talking about something as subjective as audio performance. People want a definitive "Build X for Y Dollars Budget." Of course, that doesn't exist. Probably the real solution to your puzzlement is that the designers aren't quick enough to toot their own horns. Maybe out of reluctance to seem narcissistic or fear of technical nitpickery. If your design is good, by all means beat us over the head with it and go to war with detractors.

Good links though. I don't know about that Muscovite dealio with the batteries and (ACK) solid state devices though

Last edited by Sodacose; 29th March 2016 at 01:40 AM.

Tube Phono PreampsHide this!Advertise here!