6HJ5 SET - Page 7 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th December 2016, 02:30 AM   #61
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by famousmockingbird View Post
I bought my pair on EBay from Gery but it looks like he isn't in production at the moment.

Edcor I don't think makes a 3k:8 OPT but a 2.5k will get more power but at slightly higher distortion. EDCOR - GXSE10-2.5K

Here is my Tubelab 45SE build
lovely amp there Bird.
I like 45 too but seems like they are pretty expensive now. I therefore wish to try the 6HJ5 for I have couple pair Mullard. I'd go for the Edcor as of your advice. I don't have 6n7 in hand. Could I use 5670 instead? The mu/35 is almost the same as 6n7, but I'm no expert on tube. Don't know if 5670 is suitable, do I have to change the bias point.
Regards
Albert
Old 29th December 2016, 09:11 PM   #62
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertli View Post
lovely amp there Bird.
Yes and thanks to George for designing such a pretty sounding amp.

Quote:
I like 45 too but seems like they are pretty expensive now. I therefore wish to try the 6HJ5 for I have couple pair Mullard. I'd go for the Edcor as of your advice. I don't have 6n7 in hand. Could I use 5670 instead? The mu/35 is almost the same as 6n7, but I'm no expert on tube. Don't know if 5670 is suitable, do I have to change the bias point.
Besides pinout the 5670 should work just fine, you don't even need to change operating point and you only need one triode since the rp is about half that of both 6N7 triodes in parallel. That means one driver tube for both channels. In fact simulation shows that the THD is a C___ hair lower than with 6N7's. I chose the 6N7's because I like the looks of the 6N7 metal cans and the 6N7G. I need to post some pics with the 6N7G.
Old 29th December 2016, 09:26 PM   #63
diyAudio Member

6N7G's
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010233.jpg (441.7 KB, 254 views)
Old 29th December 2016, 11:49 PM   #64
diyAudio Member

Quote:
6N7G's
Bird,
The G tube looks really sexy and my preamp use the 26 with same shape.
Good news that the green light is on for my 6HJ5/5670. I'm going to collect all parts I'll need.
Happy New year
Albert
Old 21st March 2017, 04:47 AM   #65
diyAudio Member

Bird,
I almost have all parts in hand, the same ptx with your build, the wood chassis and all other parts but not the opts. I didn't order the opts for the reason that I have a pair Hammond 1640se which can handle 200mA, 1.25k primary with 4,8 and 16 ohm secondary.
I have a new idea to make two mono block with 2 6hj5 in parallel. Therefore I don't have to buy opts, but not sure if the driver is up to the task.
Albert
Old 21st March 2017, 03:41 PM   #66
diyAudio Member

Hi Albert, if you have 8 ohm speakers why not try using the 4 ohm tap effectively making the load 2.5k?
Old 21st March 2017, 04:25 PM   #67
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hi Albert, if you have 8 ohm speakers why not try using the 4 ohm tap effectively making the load 2.5k?
Bird,
Thanks for your fast reply.
Do you mean I could keep one tube with 4 ohm out at secondary?
Albert
Old 21st March 2017, 09:23 PM   #68
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Do you mean I could keep one tube with 4 ohm out at secondary?
Yes you can keep one tube for the output stage if you have 8 ohm speakers and wire them to the 4 ohm tap.
Old 21st March 2017, 11:23 PM   #69
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Yes you can keep one tube for the output stage if you have 8 ohm speakers and wire them to the 4 ohm tap.
Thanks
Old 14th May 2017, 02:24 PM   #70
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoking-amp View Post
So many options... Those 6AV5 /6BQ6GA are fairly close to 1/2 of a 6HJ5, or to a full 6JN6/6GE5.

12BQ6GA (and 6AV5) in Crazy Drive / Twin Drive: (3.5V steps on g2, 50V/div Horiz., 20 mA/div Vert. I think)
Hi Don

I have some of these and am setting up my driver rig to do crazy drive on them... Are these curves starting at 45V going down? I kind of got this idea from the image name....

Also, did you use Rg2g1 = 2.45K, Rg1k = 2.45K like in your previous post on 12BQ6GTB ?

Best regards
Ian

Hide this!Advertise here!