• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

tube buffer for TDA1543 based dac

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi to all!

Did anyone tried to add tube cathode follower or something with tubes to the CS8412 and one TDA1543 dac after the IV resistors and coupling cap?

I am strugling to open my dac in highs for months and now I think I might try to add some tube buffer at the end. Maybe some White cathode follower or something. I could use 5687 or 6DJ8 for that.... Any ideas...

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
I think you may be trying to polish something unpolishable. The CS8412 could well be responsible as it's an early receiver chip. Further, I'm afraid that if you read the data sheet for the TDA1543, you will find that it is distinctly second-rate.

On the other hand, if you want to learn about how to tack a valve stage onto the back of a DAC, then an unfortunate accident won't cost you much, and the experience would be valuable later on if you use some more recent DAC chips.

Note, however, that the TDA1543 (and 1541) won't tolerate much of a voltage at their outputs before their distortion rises. You're not so much looking for a cathode follower as an MC input stage (without RIAA, of course).

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
fdegrove said:
A prime candidate for that line of work is the obiquitous E88CC/6922 IMHO.

Exactly. And the more gm, the merrier.

Jax said:
Has anyone tried a grounded grid I/V here?

It looks attractive until you wonder where the cathode current goes. I expect that's why we haven't seen one yet. (Cue: Loads of outraged posts saying, "I've done it, and it works.")

EC8010 said:
It looks attractive until you wonder where the cathode current goes. I expect that's why we haven't seen one yet. (Cue: Loads of outraged posts saying, "I've done it, and it works.")

Sounds like a challenge then :D

The problem is that the DAC current comes from its reference voltage source.

Or use a tube with antimatter electrodes where positrons are flowing ;)

Anyway, a cathode follower with 6922 with its cathode resistor tied to a negative source should suit the 1543 well I think.

re

Hi all!

I know that 6N1P is not hte same as 6dj8 but it is not bad tube...:confused:
Maybe to use it like this?
Vref is measured from my dac that is currently working- not right as in datasheets but o.k.:xeye:
daniel

Attachments

• mr_broskie.jpg
    mr_broskie.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 875
I just realized that the schematic is wrong. The current that is flowing through the 2k2 resistor is transformed into 3,5V. And I have 3,5V at the cathode of the tube so I must remove 2k2 (and 50k as well) resistor and add the current from the TDA1543 pins 6 and 8 to the current of the cathode resistor and then calculate my resistance of the cathode resistor. :apathic: :dead:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.