• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Single-Ended 6V6 Questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi:

I am trying to build a Gibson GA-5 (Single-ended 6V6) Guitar amp and had a few questions:

Setup so far: 5Y3, 12AX7, & 6V6. I have the Xformers from HandwoundTransformers and will use a 10" Vint. Celestian.

1.) How loud will this be? I understand it is just a few watts. But could someone give me some insight.

2.) Should I put a standby switch on this amp? Do the switches need to be DPDT or SPDT? I don't understand the difference.

3.) Is Antique Electronics Supply a reliable store? Do they ship quickly? Any recommendations of other Vintage Guitar Amp stores that have good reputations and ship quickly?

Thanks for all your help!
Raymond

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

1.) How loud will this be? I understand it is just a few watts. But could someone give me some insight.

Depends mainly on the effeciency of the speaker.

2.) Should I put a standby switch on this amp? Do the switches need to be DPDT or SPDT? I don't understand the difference.

A stanby switch is common practice on guitar amps. DPDT is double pole double throw which is 2* SPDT in a single package.
In your app a SPDT would do or else you could use a DBDT and wire the contacts in // for higher current and less contact resistance.

3.) Is Antique Electronics Supply a reliable store? Do they ship quickly?

Haven't dealt with them for many years but if the new owner is anything like the previous one(s), George H. Fathauer and his son then all I can say is that they where one of the best business relations I ever had: clockwork.

Cheers,;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.