• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Building a Pre-Amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've been looking at this same preamp for a while and have decided to build one also. The specs look pretty good and the price isn't bad either. By the time you add a power supply, chassis, tubes, knobs etc. it will probably be around $150 +, in the same range as the Bottlehead Foreplay.

One thing I've noticed is that it doesn't appear to have an input selector. If you want more than one source connected you'll have to add one but that isn't difficult.

Sherman

The nice thing about their PS is that it is already built. One only needs to add a switch and fuse. But one still ends up at about $150 after the $99 for kit and PS, $25 for tubes, something for an enclosure (Hammond aluminum?) at $15 and knobs.

Still worth it though. My current tube amp doesn't require a PS but I'm considering building both a pair of single ended mono-blocks and a "high power" (15wpc :D ) pp amp. I'll need a preamp for those.

I actually have all the parts to build a copy of their power supply according to the schematic except a 50mA fuse. When I find the fuse I'll put together the PS from my spare parts and save $50.

-------------
Don't touch that, its hot! :hot:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.