• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Yaqin MS MC - 30L Amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yaqin MC-30L Mods

I too have looked around and all I could find was a single site with mods about the 10 model.

Some simply input cap mods were shown but absolutely nothing with regard to a mod could be found anywhere period.
A fellow owner of this amp and I have discussed the possible mods and am currently considering doing the input mod using these caps:

Audyn True Copper Cap 0.22uF 630V Copper Foil Capacitor

the reviews are good installed on other amps but nothing about the results with this Yaqin as of yet. the cost is going to be at least $100.00 US and I am not going to rush into this but take some time to mull it over. I would like the sound stage to expand more and to have a better depth of field when done if this will do it. the change out of course means swapping out the .22uF 450v caps with a different composition rated at 630v but that doesn't hurt anything in theory. I can't find a heat rating on these and still am unsure if fitment will be an issue but looking into it soon.

I am very curious though as to whether or not the modification will bring the desired results. the cost is close to what I could do a power tube swap with Golden Lion tubes which some claim is the best combination along with an octal set of good NOS RCA Black Plates or Sylvanias, Mullard 6AK5 pre-amp tubes which I already have.

The Electro Harmonix 6CA7 matched quads did perk up the bottom end a bit but the original tubes seemed to provide a better and wider sound stage once broken in. the trade off is a tighter bottom end and a bit more definition in the mids and upper end at the loss of the wider sound stage. As it comes arrived it took better than 100 hours to finally open up and at that point I decided to make the tube swap and have run it as configured for about 60 hours so far. I expect it to again open up more as I run it in the future.

I am waiting for my friend to investigate fitment of the new caps nd then make a decision as to doing the mods.

Cheers
Hermit

I too have looked around and all I could find was a single site with mods about the 10 model.

Some simply input cap mods were shown but absolutely nothing with regard to a mod could be found anywhere period.
A fellow owner of this amp and I have discussed the possible mods and am currently considering doing the input mod using these caps:

Audyn True Copper Cap 0.22uF 630V Copper Foil Capacitor

Cheers
Hermit

Thanks much for posting Hermit ! The MS-30L does sound very good , I just figure as with anything else, upgrades and improvements are possible. I have a matched quad of Mesa STR447 EL34's for one of my guitar amps in it and also have matched quads of JAN 5654W , I don't notice much difference. Surprisingly it sounded pretty good with the stock Chinese tubes. I have it hooked up to a set of bose 301's that were given to me, they make it hard to judge the amp. I'm also not in the best listening environment, this is out in my workshop...only place I can turn up and enjoy the tunes in peace ...haha

I have several sets of speakers currently on a switch connected to select Klipsch Dahlquist DQ10s mirror modded, and some Mondaunt-Short 40s along with Kef C-90s giving me the.ability to really extract sound and hear the amp with specific speakers tailored for any.genre.

Not trying to tout off just giving you specifics that I can test this amp and be able to determine if it works or not.

If you want we.can take it to.email and pe hpas we could get more involved into this.mod.In email.we can bring in a couple.more folks working on this to chime in too.

Let me know.

Cheers
Hermi

Yaqin amp informatio

Hello, I have a Yaqin 30l amp, 12b pre and a 32a cd player, the best place to find information on Yaqin, mods and tube rolling is a the Yaqin Facebook page, lots of members from around the world that can and will help you. Hope this helps you.
Wayne

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.