• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Would you buy EI EL509/EL519 in an Octal Package?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Folks, I have been discussing the possibility of getting EI El509s or EL519s in the MK II octal package with a US tube supplier (tubebuilder).

According to this gentleman, who has been in contact with the factory, they will build these but want an minimum order for 500. This is a large quantity for most of the smaller tube dealers here. But, the folks at tubebuider are willing to place this order if they can get some purchase committments.

So, my question for the group is, based on our previous thread. are there any of you who would commit to buying some quantity of EI EL509 or EL519 MK IIs?? These are not the Svet versions, but would be made in the EI factory with the original Philips equipment and packaged in something like a 6550 form factor.

If so, please let me know. At the moment I'm just gathering data to bring back to the supplier. Also, don't hesitate to inform members of other lists of this possibility.

Thanks.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Thanks for enquiring.

The way I see it an octal socket version of the EL519, EI or even Svetlana (I know, no good for OTLs but still) is always useful.

So, yes. I'd certainly be interested.

500 pcs is a ridiculously low amount of tubes for any manufacturer by all counts, I'm surprised but very happy EI wants do to this at all.

Let's just hope this small quantity is not going to drive the price into stratospheric zones...

original Philips equipment and packaged in something like a 6550 form factor.

EI uses the old TFK-AEG machines but are fully Philips licensed, odd but true and yes, you can thank president Tito for this one...:rolleyes:

I don't think EI uses anything similar to the 6550 bottle bar perhaps their 6CA7 tetrodes, OTOH, come to think of it the bulb they use for the KT90 is bigger still.
Anyway, that's for them to sort out and as long as it does the job I don't care what bulb they use...

Thanks again, A. and keep us posted pls.,;)

0ctal '519

I sent Edicron, The UK distributor for Ei and others, an email about this, and they had never even heard about a 509 II that svet had made, in octal format--They assumed it had been a forunner of the 6p45s rebadged as a 509 II
Ei, apparently dont have the facilities for making shouldered bottles, as they buy the glass in the form of tubing, which they cut to size etc.

A small production run for them is 5K pieces, but all R-D and production must be paid for in advance! At the moment, they cant keep up with demand for standard valves, let alone design and make a new one!

Ive asked them to check the NOS Russian stock for a 500mA cont, 1500mA (pulse) plate tube--Who knows whats on those shelves in Ei and others! :bigeyes:

Alastair, the low number struck me too, but I've asked the folks at tubebuilder to verify and they are indeed saying a minimum order of 500 pcs.

Don't know about the glass. I thought that EI made an octal package that would work.

If they were indeed manufactured as real EL509s in octal packages, is there interest on your part?

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

but the folks at tubebuilder are guessing that it will be close to the price for the Svet MK IIs, around US $35.

That would be very reasonable considering the retail price of a single EL519 hovers between $30 and $35 nowadays.

BTW, since I suppose most of us here have OTL use in mind and EI is the only manufacturer of the original Philips spec EL519, wouldn't it be important to insist on an octal 519 iso 509?

As they say in frog speak: Ce qui peut le plus, peut le moins... N'est-ce pas?:)

Regarding the bulb, it can't be to difficult for them to use the same one as for the EL519...

Yet another issue, while I'm using a few of my grey cells; wouldn't it be a good idea to specify the pinout as per 6550A/KT88?

For those of you familiar with the EL519/509, you must have noticed the extra cooling fins near the top of the tube. These are important if you want to have the maximum dissipation obtainable from the tube.

You'll notice them on the KT90 as well...Ooops...:angel:

Just some thoughts,;)

BTW, since I suppose most of us here have OTL use in mind and EI is the only manufacturer of the original Philips spec EL519, wouldn't it be important to insist on an octal 519 iso 509?

Yes, although I'm not sure we'll get to insist on anything, except with our wallets!!

Here is the EL509 II pinout. I believe it is the same as the 6550. Since one of my OTLs is already wired for this pinout, having this pinout will necessary to my purchase.

Attachments

• el509 ii pinouts.jpg
    el509 ii pinouts.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 298
diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

I believe it is the same as the 6550.

Yep...It is.

For those interested in a little history:

Electronska Industrija-NIS Fabrika Nikola Tesla Beograd (Belgrade)

Elektronska Industrija (EI) were founded in 1951, the company being set up jointly with Telefunken. In 1959 EI started to manufacture valves under license from Philips, but they were not a subsidiary. Part of the factory still manufactures valves using Philips designs.

Cheers, ;)

Yep! Im interested!

I havent yet built my amp, Ive been looking at PL rather than EL 519 as the current levels are a bit lower--I dont fancy all that high current floating round, causing hot-spots and dry joints!

Do Ei market under the brand name Tesla???, Ive been offered a number of 509 at a reasonable price, but under the brand name "Tesla", I do not know the origin.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Do Ei market under the brand name Tesla???, Ive been offered a number of 509 at a reasonable price, but under the brand name "Tesla", I do not know the origin.

No, they do not.
The former Tchech Tesla company (actually they still exist but the electron tube division has moved and operates under the JJ name_ Jan Jirco's initials, a private investor) also made TV tubes so I think you've been offered NOS Tesla.

I suppose this " Fabrika Nikola Tesla" was the name of one of the plants in the Nis area.

Here's a nice historical overview:

TUBE HISTORY

I dont fancy all that high current floating round, causing
hot-spots and dry joints!

This hasn't occured to me over the past 15 years.

Cheers,;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.