Please help with Stancor A-4416 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st February 2004, 01:42 AM   #1
arnoldc is offline arnoldc  Philippines
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to arnoldc
Default Please help with Stancor A-4416

hi all,

i have with me a bunch of Stancor A-4416 transformers. i was informed that i can use these as phase splitter for the push pull pentode amp i am working on. the secondary has two black wires and two green wires.

how would i know the phase of these so i can achieve the proper phasing for the output section.

any information about how to do this, or information about the transformers in question are greatly appreaciated, as usual

many thanks.
Old 21st February 2004, 10:23 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default A-4416

Hi,

According to the catalog I have the A-4416 is for P-P plates (3kohms-10kohms) to P-P grids. The ratio of primary to one half secondary is 5:1. Maximum DC in the primary is 40mA, I think probably zero unbalanced DC. It has the split secondaries so that you can individually bias the output tubes and/or use inverse feedback. Not sure how they will work for phase splitters, maybe with a parafeed primary. Given the large stepdown ratio, I might guess they were designed for A2 or B2 finals.

I am no help on phasing at the moment.

Michael
Old 21st February 2004, 10:25 AM   #3
MIKET is offline MIKET  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MIKET
Default DIY

With a signal generator and scope you can figure it out quite easily.
Old 21st February 2004, 11:19 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

hi michael,

thank you very much for the information, it looks like i would go for lundahl afterall.

oh, how else can i use these?
Old 21st February 2004, 11:25 AM   #5
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
oh, how else can i use these?
I suppose that if you need large grid swing with low current (like for a cathode follower or Mac-type connection), you could turn them around. They'll reflect 5x the input capacitance of your outputs, so you may need to drive them with followers in this connection. With a CF output stage, that may not be too serious, since there's no Millering.
Old 21st February 2004, 12:12 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

hi sy, thanks for the input. that seems to sound good for a driver or preamp project.

Hide this!Advertise here!