Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th February 2004, 08:48 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default transformers, read me!!!!

OK.... i hear so much about the importance of transformers and how they are related to sound quality. I am building a dynaco st-70 and have narrowed my choices down to 2. one of those is a company called handwound transformers, and they make direct replacement transformers for dynacos, located at http://www.handwoundtransformers.com/dyna.html. My other choice is the magnequest transformers offered at triode electronics, located at http://www.triodeel.com/xfmrs.html. The magnequest transformers are about $450 for 2 outputs and a power transformer, wheras the others are $250 for 2 outputs and a power. I dont want to go on the basis that more money means better product. If anyone has any experience with any of these or know of better transformers, please let me know, any feedback at all would be appreciated.
Old 20th February 2004, 10:42 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Maybe this should be in tube diy?

First off I don't have any specific information on either of the transformers you mention, but I have been impressed by the magnequest transformers I have seen/heard. My only experience with handwound transformers is with their power transformers, and while it worked their customer service was awfull, estimates for delivery were way off, and when I had problems with the transformer after receiving the transformer I had to constantly send emails before receiving a response and he still wasn't particularly helpful. So while I can't comment on sound quality of handwound's products, I certainly didn't have a good experience with handwound whereas my magnequest experiences have been very positive...of course YMMV...
Doug
Old 20th February 2004, 10:43 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

You might get more responses posting in the tube section.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/forum....php?forumid=5

I've heard good things about the handwound transformers, also Hammond and Angela.
More so on the last two.
http://www.angela.com/catalog/transf...nsformers.html
Old 20th February 2004, 11:53 PM   #4
dhaen is offline dhaen  Europe
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Thumbs up Thread moved

Old 21st February 2004, 12:27 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

handwound is run by a guy named david lucas.

Before he sold transformers, he sold electrostatic speaker kits. I bought his book called shockwave, electrostatic subwoofer. I felt ripped off. I forget what I paid for it, but it was way too much.

Here is a link:

http://www.audiocircuit.com/9041-esl...041IMAI-DI.htm

Handwound also used to sell on ebay and had the highest level of disatisfaction I ever saw. Most of the complaints were that he never replied and took weeks and months to deliver.

Maybe the hammond line of transformers are something you should look into.

Unless you can get a stereo 70 cheap, as in less than $75.00, invest in some modern output transformers.

Regards,

Aud_Mot
Old 21st February 2004, 12:52 AM   #6
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Aud-Mot, I'm curious about that. Many think that the vintage transformers are top-quality. In the case of the St-70, the real original A-470s, the ones with the cloth insulated leads, seem to be quite in demand. What have I overlooked?
Old 21st February 2004, 01:55 AM   #7
RIP

Unless you can find original iron, I'd stick with Magnequest. The proprietor has logged hundreds of hours searching out the original drawings and machinery used in the production of the "classic" transformers. I don't know if the ST70 is one of them, but I doubt that he'd offer a reproduction without a good bit of research to back it up.
Old 21st February 2004, 06:38 AM   #8
billr is offline billr  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

hi there, this is my first post on this group, yipee.

re handwound, i am a moderately active member of RAT, and handwound get panned regularly, some people wait months on nothing happening, others get stuff when they want. fwiw, i would not deal with them

tell you who i am going to deal with, www.thlaudio.com, they are in Taiwan, and they distribute James transformers, reputed to be made by people who left Tamura.

worth a sniff, and very reasonably priced.

kind regards

bill
Old 21st February 2004, 10:21 AM   #9
MIKET is offline MIKET  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MIKET
Default Keep Looking

The Lundahl transformers are the best transformer I have seen for the money. I am using them in my 300B SE amp now.
In the US they are availible from K&K audio, Kevin knows his stuff and so do the folks at Lundahl.
I would give them a look befor making my final decision.
Old 22nd February 2004, 12:15 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

i think ill go with magnequest, thanks for the info everyone.

Hide this!Advertise here!