• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

transformers, read me!!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
OK.... i hear so much about the importance of transformers and how they are related to sound quality. I am building a dynaco st-70 and have narrowed my choices down to 2. one of those is a company called handwound transformers, and they make direct replacement transformers for dynacos, located at http://www.handwoundtransformers.com/dyna.html. My other choice is the magnequest transformers offered at triode electronics, located at http://www.triodeel.com/xfmrs.html. The magnequest transformers are about $450 for 2 outputs and a power transformer, wheras the others are $250 for 2 outputs and a power. I dont want to go on the basis that more money means better product. If anyone has any experience with any of these or know of better transformers, please let me know, any feedback at all would be appreciated.

Maybe this should be in tube diy?

First off I don't have any specific information on either of the transformers you mention, but I have been impressed by the magnequest transformers I have seen/heard. My only experience with handwound transformers is with their power transformers, and while it worked their customer service was awfull, estimates for delivery were way off, and when I had problems with the transformer after receiving the transformer I had to constantly send emails before receiving a response and he still wasn't particularly helpful. So while I can't comment on sound quality of handwound's products, I certainly didn't have a good experience with handwound whereas my magnequest experiences have been very positive...of course YMMV...
Doug

handwound is run by a guy named david lucas.

Before he sold transformers, he sold electrostatic speaker kits. I bought his book called shockwave, electrostatic subwoofer. I felt ripped off. I forget what I paid for it, but it was way too much.

Here is a link:

http://www.audiocircuit.com/9041-esl-circuit/9041IMAI-DI.htm

Handwound also used to sell on ebay and had the highest level of disatisfaction I ever saw. Most of the complaints were that he never replied and took weeks and months to deliver.

Maybe the hammond line of transformers are something you should look into.

Unless you can get a stereo 70 cheap, as in less than $75.00, invest in some modern output transformers.

Regards,

Aud_Mot

Unless you can find original iron, I'd stick with Magnequest. The proprietor has logged hundreds of hours searching out the original drawings and machinery used in the production of the "classic" transformers. I don't know if the ST70 is one of them, but I doubt that he'd offer a reproduction without a good bit of research to back it up.

hi there, this is my first post on this group, yipee.

re handwound, i am a moderately active member of RAT, and handwound get panned regularly, some people wait months on nothing happening, others get stuff when they want. fwiw, i would not deal with them

tell you who i am going to deal with, www.thlaudio.com, they are in Taiwan, and they distribute James transformers, reputed to be made by people who left Tamura.

worth a sniff, and very reasonably priced.

kind regards

bill

Keep Looking

The Lundahl transformers are the best transformer I have seen for the money. I am using them in my 300B SE amp now.
In the US they are availible from K&K audio, Kevin knows his stuff and so do the folks at Lundahl.
I would give them a look befor making my final decision.

billr said:
hi there, this is my first post on this group, yipee.

re handwound, i am a moderately active member of RAT, and handwound get panned regularly, some people wait months on nothing happening, others get stuff when they want. fwiw, i would not deal with them

tell you who i am going to deal with, www.thlaudio.com, they are in Taiwan, and they distribute James transformers, reputed to be made by people who left Tamura.

worth a sniff, and very reasonably priced.

kind regards

bill

Can not find a website at this link is THL Audio's site down?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
thoriated said:
Just curious. What was the scam with the 'Shockwave Subwoofer'? I remember seeing the ads that were plastered over audio hobbyist magazines for it a few years ago and was somewhat curious about it.

I don't know if it was a scam... but a friend did buy the kit, i read the docs & i still don't know if it makes any sense.

What Lucas was famous for (note, this is innuendo, not personal experience -- he was out of the business shortly after my friend bought his kit) was selling stuff that maybe just barely worked, if you knew how to work around the short comings, supplying very little if any support... basically taking your money & running.

dave

Hi there. Re Lundahl transformers.......used alot in the studio/console industry........excellent quality using renown Swedish iron but tranny in/out insertion losses can in some cases be more than ++ dB .....

I cannot recommend handwound output trannies for consistency.........machine tension does it much better. The interwinding self capacitance (an important parameter for HF response and stability) cannot be made consistent with hand-wound.

rich

SY,

I think all evaluations about Dynaco equipment should have the clause "for the money" after it. Dynaco really got it's new found reputation when people were picking up old Stereo 70's at garage sales for $10.00-$25.00. Clean it up, maybe re-tube it and change out the filter and coupling caps. For about $100.00 you could get yourself a peek into the magic of tubes. The Dynaco equipment was always excellent, "for the money."

If some one wanted to build a modest all tube amplifier, he would do well to salvage the iron from a Stereo 70. You get a power transformer, a good choke and 2 output transformers. Buy some tubes, sockets, caps and resistors, you could have a very nice little amp, "for the money."

Today, if I wanted to make an all-tube amp, would I choose a used Stereo 70, or would I choose $400.00 (a number off the top of my head) worth of new (or modern) iron? I would recommend going for the newer stuff. (unless it was Handwound iron) Why? The Dynaco xformers were not very high bandwidth and the quality from sample to sample could vary.

Really it is a matter of economics. The iron is your biggest investment. It is also the most important part investment.

Reagrds,

Au_Mot

The Hammonds spec out very well. Remember when you look at Hammond's specs, they are at the +/- 1dB. (standard is +/- 3dB) I have never known anyone to complain about them.

Maybe some one out there has first hand knowlege about this model transformer or Hammonds in general.

The 1650H look to be going for about $75.00. Expect to pay about the same for the power transformer. You next choices are output tube type, input & splitter topology and power supply design. There is lots of information out there.

Are you building this amp from scratch?

Aud_Mot

I never bought a David Lucas speaker kit. That is why I provided the link.

I did buy his book. It was not cheap, I forget how much. It was a xerox published book, about half of it was advertisements for his kits, one quarter was saying that he wasn't going to tell you howe to make an elctrostatic speaker because so many other people have already written books on the subject. The last quarter was a mish-mash of confusing information.

When you see a forum like with it's impressive list contributors and see what can be done, clowns like David Lucas should be put out of business.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.