Output transformers - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th April 2002, 03:22 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

If you want to have a transformer that you can saturate and use for distortion a very good source is PA amps. Bogen,Grommes,etc. They were not made for HiFi but for voice amplication. They are common and should be inexpensive, use common tube types and will work great in guitar apps from what I have been told. Also small SE OPT from consoles that had SE for stereo and a PP for bass are great for SE guitar amps. Consoles should be easy to find and cheap to buy. Good Luck!
Old 10th April 2002, 05:33 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Default Calculation

Hi there,

I have many toroids lying around. May I know how you do the calculation in order to come up with the Primary & Secondary impedances?

Thanks
Old 10th April 2002, 05:49 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Default Calculation

Hi there,

I have many toroids lying around. May I know how you do the calculation in order to come up with the Primary & Secondary impedances?

Thanks
Old 10th April 2002, 04:34 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
May I know how you do the calculation in order to come up with the Primary & Secondary impedances?
Connect a small AC voltage wall-wart to the primary, measure AC volts in and out.

Impedance ratio will be the square of the voltage ratio.
Old 23rd April 2002, 03:26 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

A great source for outputs that are great for guitars are PA amps from the 50s. As a matter of fact you would just need to overhaul the amp and be ready to go. PA amps usually had output iron set up for reproducing the human voice( limited bandwidth ) and were not very large and so easy to saturate.(not all of them,but the size of the output iron is your guide) Another source are the old consoles as they often had small SE outputs run by 6BQ5s and could easily be put in a 6V6 amp and since they were mostly stereo you would have an extra transformer. Old record players like Rodgers have amps that are about ready to go as is.
Old 9th June 2002, 12:13 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

The core of a toroid is wound from a continuous strip of metal like a roll of sticky tape, and so the grain goes along it's length. Tops for trannies.

An EI core has the flux going along the grain then it has to turn the corner and go across the grain. This may be part of the reason they are not as salubrious to sound as are toroids.

GP.

Hide this!Advertise here!