• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Converting Stereo SE to Parallel SE Monoblock

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all, can't seem to find an actual answer to this, so I thought based on some schematics I've seen, would it be possible to simply take a stereo SE amp and make it mono PSE by putting the inputs, output tube cathodes, anodes and output transformers in parallel, without changing any of the other circuit components?

The amp in question uses a 6N9P and an EL34 per channel, and eventually I would upgrade to a single larger output transformer, just wanted to know if this is a reasonable approach to "converting" an existing amp to single ended parallel?

Also, what kind of changes would be needed to use KT120s in place of the EL34s, assuming the amp is self-biasing? Besides upgrading the power supply, of course.

Schematics definitely help. If you are are lucky enough to be dealing with units whose O/P trafo secondaries "float", simply connect the channel I/Ps in parallel and wire the secondaries in series. Use 8 Ω taps for 16 Ω speakers and 4 Ω taps for 8 Ω speakers. The method does not work, when the speakers are 4 Ω.

Forget KT120s! You need "iron" and circuitry suited to the type. Success with KT120s requires a from the ground up approach. We will not discuss the fact that the KT120 has serious linearity problems. :mad:

Disagree. The amps don't produce power but voltage. When parallelling voltage stays equal, so does power unless you als use 2 speakers.

The method of paralleling I/Ps and wiring "floating" O/P trafos in series sums the voltage swings of the 2 sections in the load. As each amp section "sees" only 1/2 of the load, 16 Ω speakers work with 8 Ω taps, etc.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.