• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Gz34 rectifier with dc heater

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I say go buy a 5 VAC filament trafo. The supply that feeds the rectifier's heater is at B+ potential. :redhot: I highly doubt the SS PSU has the HIPOT capability necessary for survival.

High PIV Schottky diodes are every bit as quiet as vacuum rectifiers. Look to them in your situation.

Joined 2011
Hi
I want to build PS with the gz34 tube, I see in the typical scheme that the filament pin is shared with the output pin, I don’t have 5vac transformer, only 5vdc 5A SS power supply.

Can I use it?
thanks

http://www.r-type.org/pdfs/gz34.pdf

The filament must be tied to the cathode, and be elevated in voltage by that amount.
The 5VDC supply may not have that isolation capability, and could be dangerous if it failed.
Please use a transformer instead.

Last edited:
Hi
I want to build PS with the gz34 tube, I see in the typical scheme that the filament pin is shared with the output pin, I don’t have 5vac transformer, only 5vdc 5A SS power supply.

Can I use it?
thanks

http://www.r-type.org/pdfs/gz34.pdf
No.
You would need a 5V transformer that is isolated for 500V DC

But you can use a GZ34-emulator, 2 1n4007 diodes and 50ohm resistor.

thanks for the answers
just buy 5v transformer.

i don't understand way it connected together, furthermore, now i have 5v ripple in the first cap?

i have another 6ZY5G tube, here the heater is separate PIN, maybe its easier to use.
thanks

Last edited:
thanks for the answers
just buy 5v transformer.

i don't understand way it connected together, furthermore, now i have 5v ripple in the first cap?

i have another 6ZY5G tube, here the heater is separate PIN, maybe its easier to use.
thanks
The reason filament and catode is connected is that the isolation between them is difficult to guarantee for 500V . It' small distances and only
some al-oxide that separates them.

No you won't have a 5V ripple since the filament is floating.
But if you don't have a isolated 5V winding i would recommend the
solid-state alternative. 2 x 1n4007 and a 50ohm 5w resistor.

The reason filament and catode is connected is that the isolation between them is difficult to guarantee for 500V . It' small distances and only
some al-oxide that separates them.
No you won't have a 5V ripple since the filament is floating.
thanks
But if you don't have a isolated 5V winding
i have regular 6vac transformer not isolated, i want to try unwinding and get 5v, do i really need isolated? its only 240vac in the input.
2 x 1n4007 and a 50ohm 5w resistor
now i have diode bridge, just for fun i want to move to tube rectifier

thanks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.