• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

AES kits

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was hoping someone could comment on the quality of kits by Audio Electronic Supply. They're the only valve kits I can find in my immediate vicinity, plus their pricing is somewhat exceptional (about $800 AU per kit).

I am particularly interested in feedback on the PH-1 phono stage, the AE-3 preamp and the AE-25 power amp.

Thanks for your help :)

Vader-dude,

Can't comment on the build or sound quality of the AES units, but a search though the archives at Audio Asylum-Tubes will bring up a lot of hits. I take no responsibility for the quality of opinions offered. :D

The store <a href="http://www.audiophile.com.au/index_diy.html">Audiophile</a> in Melbourne sell them as well. Prices aren't on their site, but I might suggest looking into them, as you will also have to pay freight, insurance (unless you're daft) and probably visciously added tax if the 'landed' value including shipping and insurance exceeds $A499, if you import yourself. The value will be on the item's insurance form. I speak from experience here: I have $A300 in customs this week. Do yer sums, it might be cheaper to buy local especially if you are getting all 3.

HTH

Brett said:
Vader-dude,

Can't comment on the build or sound quality of the AES units, but a search though the archives at Audio Asylum-Tubes will bring up a lot of hits. I take no responsibility for the quality of opinions offered. :D

The store <a href="http://www.audiophile.com.au/index_diy.html">Audiophile</a> in Melbourne sell them as well. Prices aren't on their site, but I might suggest looking into them, as you will also have to pay freight, insurance (unless you're daft) and probably visciously added tax if the 'landed' value including shipping and insurance exceeds $A499, if you import yourself. The value will be on the item's insurance form. I speak from experience here: I have $A300 in customs this week. Do yer sums, it might be cheaper to buy local especially if you are getting all 3.

HTH

Audiophile is a 20min drive from my place. I don't think I'll have to worry about insurance or freight :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.