• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Operating points for 6n2p

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm putting together three different Broskie "Unbalancers" and one of them will most likely use the 6n2p.
When trying to learn the magic of tube curves :eek: I found some "rules of thumb" as we say in Sweden.

Ra should be at least 3 x Ri at the operating point.
Voltage drop at 1/2 to 2/3 of B+.
Distortion low and decreasing (not all H3).
Stay out of the "banana area".

The 6n2p is quite simular to ecc83/12ax7 and usually a plate resistance
around 120k is recomended. Reading Wiki they clame that it could be up to
220k for "hifi use".
So I was fiddling around with the:

Triode / Pentode Loadline Simulator v.1.0 (20150613 [url]www.trioda.com)[/url]

and came up with this, following the simple rules I mentioned earlier.

If I'm way of on this could someone please explain how and why.

The plate resistance (Ra) at 156k seems higher then most recomendations I have seen elsewhere so........?

6n6p_sim1.png

I've seen 12AX7 grounded cathode circuits featuring a 150k plate resistor. They were biased for around 1mA with a 300V supply. So, I don't suppose that a 156k plate load on a 6N2P would necessarily be out of line, assuming a similar bias current and supply voltage.

Hi,
What are you going to use this for? You have a grid bias voltage of -0.64 volts, and that is rather unusual.Your input (signal) voltage is 302mV it is unusually low for a hifi amp.

It will be used as the LP output buffer in a 3-way dsp filter, following a Buffalo III dac,
so it's also for I/V converting. I need more gain in that area to get more digital
headroom in the dsp since the subwoofers are dipoles.

I'm using hardwired "Unbalancers" for midbass and ribbons today with 6n6p / 6n30p
and I will keep them almost as they where after building the new pcb ones.

I have chosen the 300mV level to get a fixed level between different simulations, for comparison purposes.

The output tube will most likely be 6N30p.

Speakers:

setup.jpg

Present dsp:

almost0001.jpg

Inside:

almost0006.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.