Sensing current in high voltage DHT circuits.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I would like to ask for some advice on an issue which I am dealing with at the moment.

I am in the process of completing another DHT high voltage amplifier. This time is a PP with 4 DHT tubes running with an anode voltage of more than 1400v.

I am using toroidal PP transformers so equalizing the current is important. To achieve that I would need some effective way of monitoring the current the drawn by each tube at the same time. That could be accomplished with 4 panel meters with a 0-200mA range.

Also, unfortunately all tube are powered off the same filament transformer (12.6 CT).

To measure the current I have thought of a couple of methods:

1. measuring current flowing from the anode (maybe as a voltage drop across a 1ohm resistor in series with the anode) (but HV 1.5kv+ danger of insufficient insulation, etc).

2. Measure current directly through the cathode (from 0v to GND).

I'd go with n. 2 as it is the safest option really, but then we get to the real issue.

My setup would look something like this:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The meters are in the path from 0v to GND but my question is: will the meters give a correct readout? Could having them all connected throw them off?

Thanks

There are some fancy high side current sensing chips that can be used in the plate circuit, but would require a bit of solid state circuitry and most if not all of them are SMD. I used them in a prototype 650 volt power supply.

The basic concept is shown in Analog Devices application note AN105 on page "high side-4". I adapted this circuit to a TI INA168 chip and used it in the current limiting and metering circuit of a variable power supply that put out up to 750 volts at over 1 amp.

The app note is too big to post here, but Google will find it.

But would the readings be reliable? The parallel nature of the circuit could interfere, could it not?

If one of the four sensing resistors has a lower resistance, the other tubes will draw current from that source. Sort of "crosstalk". Not sure if I managed to explain it correctly.... :)

Inviato dal mio GT-I9301I utilizzando Tapatalk

Tubelab's suggestion involves changing the filament transformer. It is not something I can do unfortunately... but maybe I did not understand his advice.

Inviato dal mio GT-I9301I utilizzando Tapatalk

Right. He suggests a seperate winding for each flament instead of a single DC suply for all hence isolating cathodes/flaments psyhically.

Another solution may be using a switch commutator with 4 positions connecting meter to rezistors in each cathode to the ground. This way you wont have to use another transformer.

You can use a hall effect current sensor like the acs712. The only problem you have it is required the use of micro to do the convertion. Just open the circuit for each filament and wired the sensor in series. Then program the micro to read each sensors and do the convertion. It looked simple but it is simple when you used a micro.

Hi,

similar to tubelab´s suggestion I´d insert a measurement shunt Resistor between the heater and gnd and use a currrent sensing device like the INA138/168 or the INA250 (w. integrated shunt resistor).
The INAs function best with voltage drops of 50-100mV dropping over the shunt resistor, which is low enough to have enough voltage for the heater filament.

jauu
Calvin

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.