• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Audio pot with tap

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Those Fletcher/Munson loudness compensation circuits used to be commonplace. A switch, resistors, and caps. were used, along with the volume pot. tap to provide the feature. Bass was boosted at low listening levels, when the feature was engaged.

One example should be as good as another. Dig up the schematic for either the Fisher 500C or the H/K FA3000X. Many other units have the feature too. I just happen to remember those models, off the top of my head

wigwam
I know how to use the tap. Whats new to me is the supplier.
Here is an example of the "loudness" feature in use

Attachments

• vol-tap.JPG
    vol-tap.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 129
Joined 2011

With these pots, the shaft is metric (a little under-sized than 1/4" in diameter),
and also it is a little longer than usual. If you use some washers between
the pot and the panel, so there are still enough threads left to tighten the
panel mounting nut, this will shorten the excess shaft length a bit, so you
may not have to cut it off.

Last edited:
With these pots, the shaft is metric (a little under-sized than 1/4" in diameter),
and also it is a little longer than usual. If you use some washers between
the pot and the panel, so there are still enough threads left to tighten the
panel mounting nut, this will shorten the excess shaft length a bit, so you
may not have to cut it off.

Good to know, I do plan on picking a few of these up soon.

If this type pot is used as a simple volumn control, I would not use the loudness tap, just leave it alone.
If a resistor were put to ground that would mess with the lower volumn range settings.

Pots with a loudness tap are designed to use a resistor to ground on the tap for normal operation.
A capacitor is connected in series with the resistor to give bass boost for loudness compensation.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.