Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

01A question
01A question
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th August 2018, 03:04 PM   #401
ui2 is offline ui2  Germany
diyAudio Member

Well, these diodes usually drop about 1V. Multiplying by the current in question is the heat that needs to be considered. Example: (01a) 1V x 0.25A = 0.25W per Diode to be considered.

All the best,
Ulrich
Old 15th August 2018, 09:11 AM   #402
Rod Coleman is offline Rod Coleman  United Kingdom
работник
diyAudio Member

01A question
With filament bias for 01A (250mA), the <250mW will not overheat the TO220 diodes, with no heatsink. TO220s Like these can manage 1W without heatsinking, in environments of 30-40C inside an amplifier.
Old 15th August 2018, 10:44 AM   #403
andyjevans is offline andyjevans  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Thanks, Rod. That's just what I need. Heatsink calculations are rather dense to understand in simple terms. Do you have any views about using these SIC diodes as bias?

Last edited by andyjevans; 15th August 2018 at 10:47 AM.
Old 15th August 2018, 11:52 AM   #404
Rod Coleman is offline Rod Coleman  United Kingdom
работник
diyAudio Member

01A question
If the diode-bias sounds better than filament bias with a resistor, then we have an interesting data-point, but it is not immediately obvious why it should be. With filament bias, a resistor of about 30Ω would be a starting point.

30Ω in the cathode has almost zero effect on the gm of the 01A (800A/V to about 780A/V), so maybe we have something like a excess current-noise in the resistor - which is construction dependent. And as I know you have found sound quality differences among various resistors, this is quite likely.

The other possibility is that the little extra non-linear contribution to the bias, from the diode V vs. I - maybe it adds a little liveliness to the sound. You mentioned that a bit of fatigue was evident from longer sessions of listening (a known downside of such distortion), so maybe some measurement of the difference is worth the effort.

Grid bias should be better still, especially in terms of low distortion, but some don't like the grid capacitor. The Russian teflons sound fine to me in this position, but that's a matter of taste....
Old 17th August 2018, 09:27 PM   #405
jhstewart9 is offline jhstewart9  Canada
diyAudio Member

We see many subjective observations here. Has anyone taken the time to look with a scope, how did a sine wave look after going thru? Better still, do the obvious, THD & IMD tests. Discover what is causing the changes in sound.

Good new & used test equipment is very affordable now. And a great investment for anyone serious about pursuing the mysteries of electronics.

In ancient times many of us built our own TE. From a kit. Or from the ground up, no kit at all! It worked.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Listening Room.jpg (113.1 KB, 145 views)
Old 17th August 2018, 09:48 PM   #406
VT52com is offline VT52com  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

I asked earlier why fixed (grid) bias was not used so as to eliminate everything in the cathode circuit. You could use a TVC or input transformer and bias through the secondary, not needing a cap then and possible adding a little gain or the TVC functionality in one go.

Personally I would look into finding an optimal resistor for filament bias.

Has anyone tried to check if what you are hearing is not an issue caused by the filament current source, which is pumping current through the cathode resistor? In a regular cathode bias, the current is only a few mA vs the 0.25-1A that is going through there now with filament bias. So there may be two sources at play for this effect in sound that are compounding.
Old 18th August 2018, 06:48 PM   #407
diyAudio Member

We have been auditioning many resistors. My favourite, displacing the otherwise good vitreous enamel ones, is a military wire wound one from Russia in a silver colour.

Filament supply is always an issue, as you say. I always use choke input for that reason - it's smoother.
Old Yesterday, 12:04 AM   #408
jhstewart9 is offline jhstewart9  Canada
diyAudio Member

Seems like John Broskie's (Tube Cad Journal) comment regards audiophiles is not far off the mark. Refer to the attached!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg John Broskie Comment on Test Equipment.jpg (177.6 KB, 82 views)
Old Yesterday, 12:27 AM   #409
diyAudio Member

That's simplistic and outdated. There's nothing at all wrong with measuring and nothing for 'audiophiles' to be afraid of. On the contrary, there's a lot of great modern measuring equipment about which can help in all sorts of ways. As long as it's used together with listening. But surely we all know this?

01A questionHide this!Advertise here!