• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

01A question

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I think I was the person who "discovered" these resistors and passed on the tip to Ale and others. I've been using them for many years. It is indeed sovtube that sells them on ebay. You can ask him to make up a combination of any resistors you want.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400798945712?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
Usual values in 10W are 1, 10, 27, 51, 62, 360, 620, 1.3K, 1.8K, 2.2K
How do you use them for 26 that needs 10R 30W?

Thanks for the info Andy, how the SQ compared vs Mills MRA12, Ohmite AG, Mundorf M-Resist Supreme 20W, Mundorf M-Resist Ultra 30W, Powetron 30W, etc.?
I no longer use them, I use the Mills MRA12,s (I've tried Ohmite too) & mounted it outside the chassis, some recommend using a pair in parallel & I stopped using Diode Bias for the reasons Andy mentioned!

Has anyone tried the Miflex KPCu1 in place of the FT3 0.22uf output cap or any other they felt sounded better?
Thanks. nash
Just to add to my previous reply, I found the Miflex KPCU 1 to be better in just about every way to FT3, more Dynamic, they add life with more speed, better Timbre, it's very noticeable with Piano & Cello, low level detail is much clearer too, the FT3's have about 200 hours on them & the Miflex a lot less, I had to go back & do a comparison between the two after what has been mentioned here, I've tried other expensive types from Mundorf, Auricap, Clarity Cap & Jupiter, all with different results, but these Miflex will be staying in, they are also reasonably priced for a copper cap, I think they are worth every penny for SQ, there's no edge to the sound either, which was the reason I went away from Diode Bias.

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Just to add to my previous reply, I found the Miflex KPCU 1 to be better in just about every way to FT3, more Dynamic, they add life with more speed, better Timbre, it's very noticeable with Piano & Cello, low level detail is much clearer too, the FT3's have about 200 hours on them & the Miflex a lot less, I had to go back & do a comparison between the two after what has been mentioned here, I've tried other expensive types from Mundorf, Auricap, Clarity Cap & Jupiter, all with different results, but these Miflex will be staying in, they are also reasonably priced for a copper cap, I think they are worth every penny for SQ, there's no edge to the sound either, which was the reason I went away from Diode Bias.
Interesting, the Jupiter was the copper foil paper in oil?

Miflex 250 or 600V?

Last edited:
Interesting, the Jupiter was the copper foil paper in oil?

Miflex 250 or 600V?
I've got the 630V as the 250V weren't available when I got them. The Jupiter were Copper Foil in Wax, the Miflex are Copper foil, Paper/Polypropylene in oil, the Jupiters were good but for the cost a sideways step if that & for more money, the flat stack that I had I believe are no longer available, I've heard claims that Miflex have outdone the best in some systems, I can't vouch for that, but they are going to be similar to other copper Foil types.

Two box 01A build

I finally completed my two box 01A build based on Ale Moglia’s low gain 01A which includes a voltage divider and source follower. The output feeds my Slagle AVC for volume control.

The PSU box contains two raw DC supplies for the filaments on Rod Coleman boards and the B+ is on the red Pete Millett board that has a Tent Labs MEC50 electronic choke. Four microphone cables form the umbilical. There are two switches wired in series, the first turns on the filaments and the second the B+; second one will not turn on unless the first is on. The tube towers have isolator blocks on them to control microphony. I used separate grounds for the L and R channels tied at the 0v HV in the PSU box. All wiring in the preamp box is 22awg silver except the short input/output wiring which is 24awg. Gyrator and source follower boards have 47uf electro’s // with 100nf stacked film caps for decoupling.

THD at 1v out is about 0.011% and doubles to 0.022% at 2v out. Gain is 4 with 100k/100k dividers; a difference of about 0.3db between the tubes at roughly similar operating points which I evened by padding the dividers.

The sound is excellent; detailed and well balanced with no harshness and the right amount of body and weight. I was surprised how well it does with large scale orchestral work. Superb image rendering of instruments at the rear of orchestra. Great dynamics. Zero hum and noise with ear to tweeter with my 93db OBL15’s at loud listening levels rising to a faint rush at full volume.

My sincere thanks to Ale Moglia and Rod Coleman and all those here who have inspired and helped me to build this preamp. I am very glad that I did.

Comments and suggestions would be appreciated.

nash
Nice build, what cable are you using between PSU & Preamp, also why did you need to use extra filtering at Gyrator & source follower & did it make much difference?