• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

01A question

Disabled Account
Joined 2015
UX-201-A, CX-301-A tubes have remained my preference for input stage for a long time now, hybrid mu-follower and filament biased, yes. For 15 years now :)

Actually, I have one double stamped version with both types and respective logo's on either side of the single base (one tube). I agree that its time to push the price of these tubes up to where they should be.

Theres a lot of other good stuff about this triode which has gone so far unmentioned - its worth looking into.

I also agree with ~-4.5Vg, 3 - 3.5mA Ip, ~100Vp but with high AC and low DC grid impedance to signal common - even if the tube is ok with 1M 'grid leak' resistor (low grid current type, get away with minimal biasing etc)

LH/S

Last edited:
There are theories on why globes sound better than ST or later types. Most revolve around the globe having less mica support inside the bottle. Mica is known to outgas over time which could result in the tube with more mica having a poorer vacuum.

Other think that the less supported structure inside the globe will vibrate more and through microphonics impart a euphony to the sound. Personally I don't like the sound of microphonics so this seems less likely to me.

Since ~30´s mica was on rise, also vacuum pumps technology were better. Maybe the vintage sound is, because of low quality vacuum-more ionic currents

Hi Ale,
I will try this. Thnks.

B
Hi Bela,
At the low current involved in this circuit (i.e. 3mA) you can use a low capacitance JFET like the 2SK170 which helps improving significantly the HF response. In a cascoded pair when VDS<2V due to the top FET bias requirements, the DN2540 capacitances rocket up massively whilst the 2SK170 for example has only Ciss=50pF max at VDS=1V.
And it sounds beautifully!
Ale

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Recently I use DN2540-IXTP01N100 (1000V, 120pF Ciss) cascode current sources.
I lost half dozen 2540s (over 400V B+) in my tube measuring set, due to the voltage spikes ( protector zeners also destroyed).
1kV DFET is more stable..... or typical survivor? :)

Any reason why the smaller Jfet could not pass higher current levels, say 20-22mA? The 2sk170 have a V grade that go close to the that much current at Idss, and if this is inadequate, you could look to Jfets like the j309/10. Dissipation should not be an issue if I have figured correctly. Just wanting to double check.

Ale, I've been following your 01a preamp adventures with the mu-follower output. In one of your blog entries you mention using it since it offers plenty of gain.

Is it still a good choice if we only need unity gain, or would transformer coupled be ok (ie similar slew rate, etc)? Thanks.

I am using LL2745 transformers with a 4mA gap (ALT-R for low impedance but also low output). They're about $140 each. If you have Interconnect cables longer than 3 feet, that could be a choice. However, It was before Ale release his new circuit and board.

Ale, I've been following your 01a preamp adventures with the mu-follower output. In one of your blog entries you mention using it since it offers plenty of gain.

Is it still a good choice if we only need unity gain, or would transformer coupled be ok (ie similar slew rate, etc)? Thanks.

Looks like this

I use AVC at output and it's dead quiet. The filaments are a bit starved (0.230A). As you can see, Rod regs are there and Tom Cr 21thMaida reg also. Tunings are therefore easier when I'm rolling tubes. CX-301A and UX-201A require different settings (01A on picture).

Attachments

• 01Apre.jpg
    01Apre.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 799
Thanks. Yes they come from Intact audio. I tried both stepped attenuator and AVC on a 10Y line amp (LL1660 at output) but not on 01A pre. However the results were good enough to try it on the actual unit and I'm not disappointed. Full signal goes at the triode grid in that case, that must not be bad!

Nice built Crazyfrog. Are you using Slagle AVCs?
Have you compared the sound to standard pots ?
Best,
Radu

Thanks guys. I am attracted to the idea of the hybrid mu-follower since it removes the OPT from the signal path... but at the same time I like transformer coupled SET amps I've built :) At this level it all ends up expensive in the end so OPT vs none for costs isn't a big deal.

If I go with the hybrid mu-follower I'll use a voltage divider at the input. My setup is a bit unusual since I am using it in a multi-channel digital only setup, that's why I don't need any gain. Minor variations in gain can be accommodated in the convolution filters.