• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

P-SET EL34

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Greetings Artosalo, greeting Shef,

I have a complete build , I intend to sell commercially so I wont release... although might be some time, sure any tube will sound great , I am aiming for a no feedback design... otherwise why bother building a S.E.T.

Art: EL34. best candidate from my limited selection, if I recall a guy in Canada build some interesting amps from television sweep tubes, solid stuff.

I would be interested to try out his amp or have it sounding against my el34 in ultralinear.

The least expensive of his amps I though about :

McAlister Audio - Vacuum tube power amplifiers, High End Audio, Tube Amps
This amp from McAlister audio : very nice looking , I always consider buying it :)
MA-32%20002.jpg

I looked at the critics of the S6 of unison research: < not enough punchy sound > , this is so ignorant, SET or PSET is limited with the type of circuit, will never sound like a typical push-pull. They say that it lacks power... so untrue!

Alnico magnets speakers were designed for being energized fast with SET transformer with high impedance outputs, and sound mighty in the bass department.

thank you for the link 45

I looked at the critics of the S6 of unison research: < not enough punchy sound > , this is so ignorant, SET or PSET is limited with the type of circuit, will never sound like a typical push-pull. They say that it lacks power... so untrue!

Alnico magnets speakers were designed for being energized fast with SET transformer with high impedance outputs, and sound mighty in the bass department.

thank you for the link 45

Never give too much importance to critics. Especially when they talk too much about ethereal stuff without any technical base. I think that listening is the BEST tool to assess the performance but an objective starting point is needed otherwise one can run in circles forever. The typical mistake many people make with SE amplifiers is to couple them to the wrong speakers. Heard many times rarely seen it applied properly.

You need smooth impedance first. Impedance peaks are generally fine because all valve amplifiers of any type are fairly good (pentode) to very good (triode and ultra-linear) with higher than nominal impedance, even if rather reactive. It's a problem when impedance goes down and it's rather reactive. There PP amps (triode and ultralinear in all its forms) are better but still in a different class in comparison to SS (It does not mean SS amps are better at all!). Still do not exaggerate with highly reactive speakers.
Then complete bass misalignment and crossover not working as from original design might occur when Zout is not really small. So much that in some cases the solution for the bass is just as simple as radical: a bass reflex speaker might work perfectly just closing the vent and transforming it into a sealed box!

Last edited:
Now how can we get low impedance with UL and some hammond transformers...

The only way it could work without feedback is to triode strap a pair of el34 and a 5000k transformer, the output impedance would be around 1.5 ohm.

I would like to use the ultralinear of the s.e.t. transformer to remove transformer distortion as much as possible and keep a pentode punchy sound.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.