• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Help me pick my first tube kit/winter project (tube preamp)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello Gentlemen,

I grew up with all solid state, and that is what I have collected thus far, until my tech gave me a loaner PAS-2. Warm, mellow, it does have its flaws, but it sure is a fun piece of gear.

This winter I would like to build my first kit, so I need some advice from the community. This pre will ultimately power a Citation 12, if you are curious.

My criteria:
I'd like to stay under $1,000 for the kit
I'd like something that is close to a full kit, so I don't have to hunt and peck for components.
I'd like something that has been around a while, has good feedback from the community, and is fun to put together.

I'm surprised at how many rebuild kits I find, especially when talking Dynaco PAS, much fewer full kits. I am open to non-PAS options.

So far I have looked at:
Pas NG (next gen) full kit from tube nirvana, SS rectified, no tone controls - $760 plus ship
Tubes4hifi SP-12 kit - $720 plus ship

Are there other serious contenders I should consider?

Best,
BK

A potential fly in the ointment is gain structure. What signal level drives the Cit. 12 to full power? If it's less than 2 VRMS, you don't need gain in the line stage in combination with a CDP. A buffered volume control or, possibly, a 12B4 based (low gain) setup is correct.

Is vinyl part of the overall equation?

Don't be afraid of a scratch build. The members will help you source any and all parts you need. Think in terms of obtaining the system synergy you need/want.

A thick walled, commercial, baking pan makes a nice, low cost, chassis. "Hammerite" finish is easy enough to use and comes in several colors.

Last edited:
I can recommend John Broskie's preamp kits (www.glass-ware.com). I have built his CCDA to great satisfaction. They are clever designs and high quality PCBs and parts. The end result is a really excellent preamp.

The manuals are sometimes a bit iffy on some details so it does require critical thinking and learning to actually understand the circuit, it requires a little more than just following instructions. But if you are up for that, it is a great learning experience with great end result.

I like John Broskie's preamp kits (www.glass-ware.com). I have built his CCDA to great satisfaction. They are clever designs and high quality PCBs and parts. The end result is an excellent preamp.

The manuals are sometimes a bit iffy on some details so it does require critical thinking and learning to actually understand the circuit, it requires a little more than just following instructions. But if you are up for that, it is a great learning experience with great end result.

Last edited:
Transcedent Grounded Grid. It's cheap and performs so well that I will still plug it into my reference system for fun.

I've never bothered to invest in better parts than what came with the kit. It's really a stellar design and the kit is very manageable for a first timer.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.